miil creek 13

i am an avid flyfisher and looks like the mill creek 13 would fit the bill.  Any fly fishers out there have a comment?  I saw a Pygmy boat this summer in Oregon that the builder raved about, anyone have any experience with Pygmy?

Rod

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: miil creek 13

Rod,

It would seem that for fly fishing you would like a nice spacious cockpit and good stability.  You should get both of those with the MC 13.  You might also want to look at the Wood Duck 12, and maybe even the Wood Duck 14, although the 14 is getting a bit heavy.  In my opinion, the wood ducks are a bit more elegant than the MCs, and I row an MC 16.5.

I am not intemantly aquainted with all the Pygmy models, but I do not recall seeing anything with a beam approaching the 29" of the MC and the 30" of the ducks.

Try to get a chance to demo both boats.  Check out the space as well as the stability and good luck.  You will have fun with what ever you build.

Paul

Flyrod.  I have a MC13 I live in Oregon in the Portland area.  If you are in the Portland area you could try mine.  Or go to Portownson WA on Sept 10-12 to the wooden boat show.  CLC will be there and Iam sure Pygmy will be there also.  Just a thought.

Lance

Lance

How do you liked the performance of the MC13?  What waters do you use it on?  How was the construction process?  Is the seat comfortable?

Thanks

Rod

Rod

I very much like how the boat handles.  It took me a couple of times out but I have it down now.  I have been on Crain Praire Res (in central Oregon), Diamond lake with about a 20 mile an hour wind, large wind wakes the boat cut right thru the them.   Also very easy to paddle into the wind. I have been on the Deschutes river in central Oregon in the Sunriver area.  I purchased the MC13 kit from clc it was very easy to put together.  All pieces fit well.  My next boat will be from plans.  As far as the seat.  I don't use it.  It sat to high and changed your center of gravity.  I now sit on a "Skwoosh"gell pad right on the bottom of the boat.  Very comfertible and it lowers you and makes the boat very stable.  I have fished out of it but Iam a spin fisherman not fly.  But I don't have any problem casting and no feeling of instabilaty.  It was a fun build.  Hope that all helps. 

Lance

Rod,

i agree with everything Lance said about the way the boat went together, great kit and great support  from CLC. i too went with a different seat, the creature comfort seat, and have nothing but good things to say about it! i fly fish out of mine and it is great! i am gonna add some kind of netting to close the cockpit up to act as a "stripping basket" All in all a great fishing boat, you will not regret building one!

Thanks Lance and "fisherman".  I am familar wth the waters you have been on as we honeymooned in Sunriver almost 36 years ago and we have been spending 2 weeks in the summer in Sunriver for the last 15 years.

What is the "creature comfort seat" and where do you get one?

Thanks

Rod

Look under "Boat Gear" on this web site.  If you have not found this item by now, you must not have spent much time on this web site.  Look all through it.  You will find many helpful tips and answers to questions you did not yet think to ask.  If nothing else, it's great entertainment.

Hppy boat selecting,

Paul

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.