Northeaster finishing questions

My Northeaster dory is nearing the home stretch. I'm going for a painted rather than bright finish, so I was wondering if the whole thing can be slathered in fairing compound rather than three coats of resin. There is already one coat of resin on all wood surfaces  at this point.

I've used WEST 407 to fill the weave on the bottom fiberglass - it sanded quickly and gave a perfect finish. As an added bonus, the ugly reddish color makes it obvious when you've sanded into the fiberglass. Any reason not to do the same with the planking and interior? The thwarts and gunwales will be varnished, so they got a full three coats. 

Another question is with regard to the skeg - it seems the end grain will get whacked whenever the boat is beached. Any reason not to fiberglass it?

Finally, is there any reason not to glue the thwarts into the hull (with the exception of the removable one)?

Thanks! 

Gary 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster finishing questions

I'm not familiar with West 407, but I think the literature indicates that fairing compound is not entirely waterproof.  It says to coat all fairing compound with at least two net coats of unthinkened epoxy.

Never used West 407 either, but if it was my boat I'd put at least two coats of epoxy on bare surfaces before using any type of fairing compound and paint.

As far as the skeg is concerned, I'd put a wormshoe on it. That's a thin piece, 3/16" or so, of a hardwood tacked and glued on the skeg to protect against abrasion. When it gets worn simply sand it off and put on a new one.

The seats are up to you. It's a lot easier to re-finish the interior, and you will want to do that someday down the road, with the seats out, especially if they're varnished and the rest is painted.

George K

For those not familiar with 407, it's lighweight thickening agent that's added to epoxy resin. In my case it's being added to standard MAS epoxy that was supplied with my boat kit. How would the thickening agent change the basic properties of the resin? Is waterproofing also compromised in the fillets, which are filled with wood flour?

Good advice on the seats - I can't imagine working on the interior finish with the thwarts in the way.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.