S&G kayak stronger than great white shark

http://www.rollordrown.com/shark.htm

This article blew my mind. I knew that a fiberglass sheathed wooden kayak was strong, but to have a great white attack the kayak and be able to do nothing more than a few small holes and leave the kayak (AND PADDLER!) in shape to paddle back home. Amazing. 

-- James

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: S&G kayak stronger than great white shark

Holy crap!

I guess epoxy doesn't taste too good

No, c'mon, that is an an obvious hoax:  The guy just figured repairing a couple carefully crafted "teeth marks" in his boat would be a small price to pay for the usual 15 minutes of celebrity.  And then, every chance he gets for the next couple decades:  "Hey did I ever show you my old kayak?  I think you will find it quite interesting ..."  ;-)

Grant

mebbe I'm just gullible. But...I ain't padding 8 miles out to sea with out a buddy..call me chicken.

Dan 

I've got no problem with solo paddling, I just probably won't be hanging out where all the shark food hangs out.

In all fairness, this guy got really lucky. it sounds from his description like the shark wanted to find out what this new fish tasted like, and he just didn't like the taste of the epoxy fish. combined with happening to bite down on a bulkhead, combined with 2 6oz layers of glass (heavy boat!) no ramming, no thrashing, no second attack. guy got lucky. 

Like Barros said... this guy's lucky that a heading in the Times didn't read "Kayaker missing at sea, presumed shark attack."  

This dude was very lucky.  If the shark had decided to be more aggressive and roll the boat, he would have been a dead man.  Freya Hoffmeister had a similar incident in her circumnavigation of Australia (at night, miles from land) where she had do some some bracing to stay upright.  She later found a tooth imbedded in her 'glass yak.  

Fortunately, I'm not too worried about this happening in the Boston area.  It seems all of the great whites are hanging out around Chatham and the outer cape, following the seals.  

~Chris  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.