Paint & Varnish Combination

Would like to varnish the Kahalo deck including the roundover, and paint from the hull/deck joint down.  Plan is to mark the "waterline" with fine-line tape, varnish, re-tape and paint.  Is this the best approach?  Is there benefit to varnishing first or vice versa?  Thanks

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paint & Varnish Combination

My understanding is that varnish sticks over paint better than paint sticks over varnish.

cbk,

I painted mine and then varnished right over the paint.  An unintended (but nice) affect of this was that the amber hue of the varnish gave the green paint a warmer color.

Good luck,

Larry

Chese 17LT

Hadn't considered varnishing over the paint but that would be much easier.  You only need to do a good paint border vs having to flip around and also do a good varnish border. 

Did you consider doing half & half like I described? 

I considered it, but only for a short time.  The hassle of re-taping led me to quickly decide varnish would stick over paint (wet-sanded, of course).  A lot less work and I'm very happy with the results.

Good luck,

Larry

Update, this from "Jay" at Interlux.  The exchange is continuing as I had some additional questions about technique and sequencing but his view is paint before varnish.

"Hi, I would recommend applying the varnish (Schooner) first then followed by the Brightside as you will obtain better adhesion then if you were to reverse the scenario (Brightside then Schooner), plus you won't have to worry bout any potential yellowing and/or lifting if the Schooner were to be mistakenly applied over the Brightside. After the last coat of Brightside has cured for 5 days minimum, you could then apply the 3M 218 Fine Line Tape to the Brightside. I would not recommend applying the tape any sooner the those 5 days, as you could create surface imperfections and challenges on the finish.

Hope this helps!
Jay

I mean varnish before paint......

Ummmm....

Am I missing something? Why are you applying tape to the Brightside? Shouldn't the tape be applied to the varnish to define the margins of the paint?

Also, I'm worried that a small raised edge would remain where the Brightside ended against the tape. Can this be feathered with something (rubbing compound?) or am I worrying about nothing?

- Steve

Automotive supply stores sell a "fine line" masking tape, used for masking off car paint jobs.  It's a bit expensive, but worth it if the ridge left by regular masking tape is a problem.  Another note:  Varnish over paint will change the paint hue, usually for the worse.  Like varnish over white results in a real ugly yellowish/white, and it get's worse looking with age.  Good luck.  Jer (aka mtsailor)  http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.