Skerry Camping Over Long Distances

I just want to make a recommendation to potential builders for the Skerry. I love this boat and think it is an excellent design for day sailing or distance cruising.

This past weekend I solo sailed my Skerry from Montreal to Quebec city down the St. Lawrence river - a distance of about 210 km. I camped ashore 2 nights and sailed 3 days (100km+ the third day). In fact, I used only a quarter of my provisions and could have camped out for a much longer period.

She can row, she can sail and she will handle waves and wakes with ease. For example, large freighter and powerboat wakes were not a problem. 

If you want a fine boat that is forgiving to beginners and will provide tons of enjoyable sailing the Skerry is a well designed, superb and capable boat.

Happy boatbuilding!

Jean.

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry Camping Over Long Distances

Stop teasing us and post some pictures! Sounds like a wonderful cruise.

John 

Jean thank-you for  telling of your experience and the admiration of this boat. I have gone through the row-sail catigory boats many time and my opinions on which to pick has changed on several occasions....CZ

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for the delay in responding... I've been out of town...

I've put pictures on my web album online. If you have a moment, take a gander! 

Happy boatbuilding!

Jean.

Thank you. Great trip log. I'd like to be able to welcome you to the thirties, but I am a bit farther downstream.

Jean,

Thanks for the great pics and comments. I just launched a Northeaster Dory and am looking forward to some extended cruising/camping in her soon. I'm shooting for an overnighter or two next week, but your pictures are making it difficult to wait that long!

Neil

Congratulations on your launch Neil! With the additional cargo capacity of the NE Dory I'm sure it will be a very comfortable trip.

Will you be going solo? What area will you be sailing? I'm sure there are others with the same intention, so photos and insight would be very appreciated!

Happy Friday,

Jean.

Jean,

I enjoyed the pics of your trip. I am now building a Skerry.

When I was trying to choose between the Dory and Skerry this spring at the OkoumeFest, I had found I enjoyed the way the Skerry handles following waves. Its rides up, slides down and doesn't seem as prone to getting slewed sideways as the Dory. Probably the width and greater rocker of the Skerry over its length compared to the Dory. I felt no great difference heading into oncoming waves except the dory seemed to cut thru and move a bit faster.  

I still toss the dory and skerry in my mind. I gave a CLC catalog to an old neighbor that came by to visit. He moved next to a large resevoir with boathouses and had been thinking of a wooden canoe. I recommended he think of the dory as the additional sail may be good in a resevoir and its probably an easier build.

Any thoughts on the Skerry vrs Dory in open water? I know the dory is traditionally an able open water boat but I felt more comfortable with the skerry handling in waves. I have small kids I will take on trips.

Again, enjoyed your pics, I didnt have my boat done when we went to False Cape State in southern VA this spring and it only has trail and boat access.  I would have loved sailing there rather than biking there...

Jean,

I keep the boat on the Barnegat Bay in New Jersey, USA and can be satisfied cruising the area for a while. I plan on taking some field trips later, and possibly enter a Watertribe event when I get more familiar with the boat. I also have tentative plans to meet a Canadian friend (fellow Dory builder) on Georgian Bay next year. I will most likely beach camp solo, but have taken passengers on two occasions for day sails. I find the Dory is more settled with the extra weight in it, but is tough for 2 adults to move around, say, when changing tacks.

Pat, here is a video ( CLC's 17' Northeaster Dory - Downwind ) of a downwind sail in the Dory with a stiff (12-15kt) wind and following seas. I was a little nervous at first because some of the waves were 2+' and did not yet know how the boat handled in such conditions. I can't compare it to the Skerry, but the Dory handled it pretty well. I had 5 gals. of water in the bow, but think I will move it back next to the daggerboard next time, which I would think would also improve handling downwind.

I'll try and take more pics/vids next week and post em in a new "Beach Camping" thread so as not to step on you Skerry guys' toes!

Neil

Sorry, here's another link to the same video . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyOO-qrFSF8

Neil,

I like that video. Looks like you were running and the following sea was coming directly astern. Did changing direction ever make the stern get pushed around?

I am not experienced at sailing, the skerry felt less pushed by the following sea and wouldnt be as likely to throw me into an unplanned jibe which might throw the boat around even more.  I would definitely practice quite a bit before sailing in much swell or chop with the kids.

Looked like a fun sail though, quick...

Pat

Yes, you definitely have to pay attention when running. I understand the Skerry design was based on a Nordic double ender that probably handles better, but any boat will be pushed around by a following sea if you are not paying attention. Alot of Skerry owners rave about how they handle and love their boats. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun, and feel more comfortable with the kids after you get to know your boat.

I belong to Yahoo's Skerry Group (even though I'm a Dory owner). It has a lot of interesting discussion and pics. check it out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CLC_Skerry/

Good luck,

Neil

Hi Neil and Pat,

Interesting discussion so far. For myself, I can't comment on the Dory's ability having never sailed one. However, in this case I consider the ability to sail in open water or adverse conditions more a result of the sailor and less the boats. And for two very light hulls, I wonder how much difference there is at the waterline?

I can still mention though, the little details that lead me to choose the Skerry over the Dory.

- It's more car toppable. I don't have a car so have to beg, borrow or steal (er... I mean "rent"). Thus, no trailer.

- It rows easier. Rarely will I be in a situation where I can row in tandem.

- The daggerboard is close to where the skipper would sit. If I'm not mistaken, in the Dory it is further forward and instead of rising vertically it slants forward. 

- It's the biggest boat I feel comfortable handling in and out of the water.

For all those fussing over the decision, here's the simple answer. Just build 'em both! :)

Happy Monday!

Jean.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.