Northeaster Dory Launch

The actual launch was a little rocky because it was rushed and I had a big audience, but subsequent episodes with the boat have been a lot of fun.

I find the boat to be an excellent rower. I was maintaining 4 kts (GPS) with minimal effort.

The lug rig and yoke/extension set-up took a couple tries to warm up to, but I really like both.

Building her was a lot of fun, but now it's time to put her to use. Weekends are crowded on the Barnegat Bay and it becomes a washing machine pretty quickly. I purposely took her out to see how she would handle in the mess and she passed with flying colors. After a couple of hours I got used to moving around in the boat and think it would be very difficult to capsize.

Bottom line is that the boat is exactly what I was looking for and I think it is the perfect boat for what I have in mind - day sailing, beach camping, and possibly some Watertribe events after I'm more confident with the boat and get myself in better shape.

Here are a couple of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YySaa3eYzsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKsfS1DiTuU

and some pics:

Beached 3" mce_src="Beached 3" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

Beached 2" mce_src="Beached 2" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

Thanks John, Mark and the forum for fielding all of my annoying questions!

Neil

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory Launch

don't know why those pics came out as doubles, but here's a try at full size . . .

Beached 2" mce_src="Beached 2" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />" mce_src="" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

1 more try . . . Beached 3" mce_src="" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

Neil,

A fine craft - thanks for sharing the videos. Where did you find the specs for the lug rig?

John 

Hi John,

John Harris designed the lug rig and the mast partner. I followed his specs, asked a load of questions (he always got right back to me and no question was too dumb!) and the boat sails great. I like being able to step & un-step the mast underway & I also like the simplicity of handling one sail on a small boat. They say a lug rig is only 90-95% efficient when pointing, but I don't notice it & feel this is worth it anyway.

Neil

Neil,

Thanks for the quick reply. I purchased the Skerry plans for that very reason - a "one rope boat" as far as control lines are concerned. But I have always been attracted to the higher capacity of the Dory. I sailed the Skerry, Dory & Passagemaker at Okoumefest 2009 and enjoyed all three.

I believe there is one called "Lucy Lui" out with the Lug rig as well - more great YouTube footage (search on "northeast dory lug").

Your gunwale looks custom as well. Does it protrude into the boat or did you extend it out? When I sailed the dory I remember that was my back rest.

John 

Hi John,

Cindy Lu is Jim Kozol's boat and it was where I got the idea for both the lug rig and the inwales. I asked him a few questions before making the decision and he was kind enough to answer them for me.

His boat is a work of art where mine does not do the design justice. I'm a first time boatbuilder and I had fun building 'Spray', but in the end I knew she was never gonna be a show-dog. I just made sure she was sound structurally and that she didn't look hideous when I was done. I already put a few dings in her!

Neil

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.