Latest excuse to work on boat

Too hot!

Nice and cool in the basement. Hull sanded, deck forms in (still some tweeking to do). Working on planing the shear clamps .

I broke down and bought a festool mini vac. This thing is great! Hooked to my RO sander there is NO dust. I take back everything I've ever said about them being pricey.

Dan 

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Latest excuse to work on boat

Still making excuses? Rookie.  ;)

Chris

Talk to me after you tackle the epoxy--any great machine will become less efficient when plugged with that kind of fine dust....yes I am jealous---enjoy.

Chris--my rookie excuse is it is therapy---who is going to know if I really need a session or not and be willing to take the responsibility for the radical behavior ?

CZ

CZ- I've sanded the epoxy on the hull. First with 80, then 120. I've seen no change in the suction, but I did pick up some spare bags (it only came with one) and will probably change it soon just for the hallibut.

Chris- yesterday the Hudson was 85 degrees F and the air was 95+. The basement was 72. I don't really need an excuse but it's fun to make them anyway.

Dan 

Danthaler:

My modest upgrade when sanding resin on my build was the selection of my sanding disc type.

I have read were others sought out quantity discounts for a variety of sanding pad grits -possible adding a scraper to their arsonal to limit the the number of pads needed for the task.

I get great milage and dust pick-up when using Abranet by Mirka sanding disc abrasives. They are a screen type design so that the total surface of the 5" disc are sucked clean, not just those nearest the holes--and dust is quickly removed so that they are not exposed to the heat from friction and allowed to clump and plug up the pad abrasives. I have also noticed that the pads are more aggresive and that a 180 grit will remove materials as quickly as a 150  or 120 grit in a standard pad. I did a complete sanding of the hull resin with three sanding pads using the if in doubt replace rule. This was done with a Dewalt R.O. and a junkie small shop vac attached-- I can only imagine how great your new toy would work with this disc. I puchased these from our local Wood Craft store-- the disc. is made in Finland---CZ

Hi Dan,

The boats looking great btw. After building a few people quit questioning what you're doing and excuses become obsolete. That said, I'll be in the male crisis center getting my fix.

Chris

CZ- I bought a bunch of the standard mirka discs from amazon, haven't used them yet. I'm finding that since I used a scraper and the right rollers to apply the epoxy I have been doing much less sanding. The discs you describe sound good, like the mesh sanders for drywall.

I scarfed and glued the long edge strips today and ripped the strips that I will use on the curved pattern we'll be doing...same as the sw16h in the catalog (Sandy Davis's boat). What I've been noticing tho is the she has no hatches or deck rigging. We will be adding those for sure.

Chris- my wife is eagerly awaiting her first water trial, so no excuses are needed. I am finding that if I don't paddle or work on the boat for more than a day I get anxious and irritable. Is this normal? What would you prescribe? ;-)

Dan 

Hi Dan,

I'd call it normal, just paddel or work on the boat everyday. I'd prescribe getting those sheer clamps planed and start stripping! The deck that is...

Chris 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.