sanding between coats of interlux paint ?

I just painted the bottom of the hull on my WD12.  It took four thin coats to get a finish that I liked.

I sanded only small patches that were not smooth between coats. The rest got the next coat without sanding. It looks great.

Then I read on the can that you must sand between coats !!!

Will I have a problem with the paint bonding properly ?

Lou

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: sanding between coats of interlux paint ?

Since no one seems to be touching this, I'll chime in.  As a past professional painter, I always sand between coats, even with products that claim it's not necessary.  But to answer your question, maybe you'll have problems, maybe not.  Thing is, there isn't much you can do about it at this point.  Put the boat in the water and enjoy it.  If you experience peeling, sand it down next winter and repaint.

I also have done alot of painting. I agree with Jack d.   see what happens.  alot depend on how much time was between coats. the finishing is always the most time consuming.

Thanks for your input.

I painted each coat 24 hours after the last.  It looks great.

It will see water this weekend !!!

Thanks again.

Lou

I like Interlux paint because it sets up quickly, seems to smooth out by itself, and eventually gets rock hard. By eventually, I mean it seems to take a week or more to cure hard enough to use and months to reach its ultimate hardness. Recoating within 24 hours will probably give you a decent chemical bond even if you didn't sand. -Wes

Thanks Wes,

I found the Interlux to be very easy to get a smooth finish.  It has been in the 85 to 90 degree range all week long and the paint is starting to get hard.  On Sunday I will put it in the water for the first time.

Lou

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.