bulkheads

i am building a matunuck and to close off the bow and stern i thought i would use the 3" minicel foam with 3m 5200 sealant.  that way i give the hull/deck some flexible strength and create some floatation.  i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.  is this a good idea or bad?

thanks, Dave

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: bulkheads

i realized haven't posted pics in  while.

http://i32.tinypic.com/28jxm5s.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/2eaudjt.jpg

almost ready to paint.  sure will be interesting to get the primer on and see the low spots.

Dave

Looks good. On the bulk head idea I have been thinking of doing the same thing to make bulkheads and compartments for my brother -in-laws fiberglass kayak. I know they do exactly that in some plastic kayaks for their bulkheads. Not sure  what to glu eit on with though. I'm no expert, but I think it is a good idea.

Jason

Oh, by the way, I really like to the look of the recessed tie downs. Goes nice on your boat.

Dave,

A bulkhead would work in the aft end and you could use one in the forward compartment to double as a foot brace. On mine I did what Nick Schade did on the original and put 3" minicell longitudinally under the fore and aft decks. Works as flotation and helps support the decks somewhat. I'll admit it does make for cramped legroom, however! Most "professional" surf kayakers don't use footbraces as they can be a hinderance to getting out of the boat quickly if necessary. The foam bulkhead/footbrace is what I've seen used. You can make it removable by running a small rope pull thru it with a backing plate. Just make the bulkhead a tight fit and it'll keep most of the water out. You shouldn't glue one in unless you have a way to get the water out that WILL seep past it and since there aren't any hatches on the Matunuck you should be able to remove the bulkheads. It's the same reason we never store our wooden kayaks with the hatches tight; a little water, a little heat, a little crack in the epoxy, adds up to ugly brown stains that can only be hidden with paint.

Nice job so far!

George K

Jason, thanks for the comment about the tie downs.  I still want to make some form of bulkhead for the floatation. i understand about the seepage, so the foam is out.  i guess i will use a plywood to make the bulkheads, wpoxy both sides and then glass it in.   i put footbraces in my boat instead of that faom down the middle.  i was taking a rolling clinic and was in a small whitewater kayak and didn'tfeel i could come out easily.  these matunucks are not big volume boats.  after i put the plywood bulkheads in, i might velcro some foam to the cockpit side to minimize submarining.  i guess that comes inthe fitting stage.  after some paint i will post more pics.

thanks Jason and George for the info and nice comments!!

Dave 

Dave,

I would still recommend against epoxying in plywood bulkheads as you will have no way of inspecting the water tight compartments they will make. If you are intent on doing that you should install inspection ports in them and it would be advisable to unscrew them when the boat is in storage to let the boat dry out. CLC sells them, look under Boatbuilding Supplies >> Fasteners and Hardware >> Deck Plates. The 4" ones are only 12 bucks. 

George K 

thanks George.  that sounds like a great idea.

Dave

Dave, My grandson and I are building a Matunuck. I'm interested to know if you built yours from plans or the clc kit. Wil.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.