Fully Nesting the Passagemaker Take-Apart?

Hi, everyone. 

I was looking at the take-apart passagemaker and was wondering if anyone has ever modified the design of the rear seat so that the front section FULLY nests into the rear section.  I mean, it looks so CLOSE to being able to fit, yes?

Perhaps the rear seat could be designed to be removed? or maybe just the center part of the rear seat could be removed?

Anyway, the reason I would want to do this is so that I could store the dingy on top of my 36' sailboat, without taking up much space on deck.

Thoughts?

Ben

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fully Nesting the Passagemaker Take-Apart?

I have not built the Passage Maker, but I strongly suspect that there is a water tight compartment under that seat to meet Coast Guard bouyancy requirements which might be violated if the size is reduced.  Best check direclty with CLC on this one.

Paul

RE: Fully Nesting the Passagemaker Take-Apart?

These are Stitch & Glue hulls. They have a minimum, of structure so every part has to do double duty. If you look at the scaled drawing you will see the rear seat top is glued to the transom, the sides, and the top of the bulkhead. So, besides being something to sit on it reinforces the transom, the sides, and it's a large horizontal gusset that keep the hull from racking out of square. Once you buy the plans you can build any way you like but if you don't follow the plans it becomes your design and any implied warrantee is void. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.