eastport pram - locating frames, finding level, frame/bulk angles

hello builders-

i've seen this question before, but, working from the kit...

how do i locate the frame/bulkhead positions from the plans?

i've run a bit of string from the center of the bow and stern transoms, leveled this line, measured in, and droped a plumb bob from there. is this ok? where is level?

i want to get this right before i fillet!

are the bulks and frames square to the hull bottom at their respective positions? or do they go in plumb to the elusive level line (found by using a line, a line level, or a 3 or 4 foot carpenter's level)?

thanks!

tom

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: eastport pram - locating frames, finding level, frame/bulk angles

What I've done is leveled the boat by finding the difference between the position of the bottom of the bow and stern transoms above waterline (or any arbitrarily drawn horizontal line) on the plans and then adjusting the boat to match by measuring to the floor.  One the boat is level, then the bulkheads are put into position and adjusted so they are vertical.

One thing I ran into is that the fore-aft position of the forward and after bulkheads did not match the plans (especially the forward bulkhead). The center bulkhead seemed to match up well for me.  The position of those bulkheads is not too critical, but it is important to make the forward bulkhead as vertical as possible since that will affect the angle of the mast.

-Steve 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.