Rudder Cable Assembly Questions

Does anyone have any photos of their cable runs from the rudder to the peddles?  I'm having trouble visualizing how it passes through the deck and/or bulkhead.  Are there any sharp bends?

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rudder Cable Assembly Questions

It really depends on the rudder and foot braces but this is what I did with a K2 rudder and SeaDog Foot Control pedals.

http://dehager.smugmug.com/Boats/CLC-Mill-Creek-165/6686487_BbGBe

Your assembly is the one I was hoping to see.  The only thing I can't really see is how the cable winds up in the cockpit.  I see it goes through the rear bulkhead, so I assume it passes throught the aft deck somehow.  Do you have a photo of that?  My rudder is probably going to be a retrofit.  I'll probably have to go through the side decking for mine since I'll have the decks on before I get to a rudder.

BTW, I am really considering the Sea-Dog peddles and even the SeaLect TruCourse rudder.  Did you look at that one?

Jeff,

I do not get this picture posting stuff.  Old dogs and new tricks I guess.  If however you can give me an email address I will send a pciture showing how I penetrated the deck for the cables on my Shearwater,

Paul G.

Thanks Paul,

For picture posting you need a hosting site such as photobucket.com  It is a free photo hosting site.  Once you have pics stored there, you simply click on the photo you want to include here.  A box will open with the following options:

Email & IM

Direct Link

HTML Code

IMG Code

Select the Http address in the direct link field and copy it.  Then, in this text box there is a little icon at the bottom that looks like a tree.  Click on it and paste that address into the field that says Image URL.  Then click on Insertand the picture will automatically load into this text box.

I made two wood fairleads to run the housing through the deck. I also added a Delrin bushing for the K2 rudder.

Thanks!  That is prettly slick.  All I have to do is figure out how to do something similar. Maybe a dowel cut down the middle with a hole drilled through?

Paul, I'd still like to see yours if you can put up a picture.

Jeff,

I am still willing to email you some pictures, but as I said, I do not do postings - no time to figure that out.  Anyway, I made deck fairleads similar to those done by dehager.  I used a piece of dowel.  Drilled it down the center and then cut it at the desired angle.  After gluing them to the deck, I redrilled thru the hole in the dowel and thru the deck.  I drilled the aft bulkhead right up in the corners near the sheer clamp and threaded the tubing from cockpit back to the deck penetration.  The tubing was then epoxyed into the fairleads and attacheck to the sheer clamps with cable clips.  The forward end of the tubing ends near the aft end of the foot brace assemblies.  All the angles and turns are very gentle.  The control line for raising and lowering the rudder is run thru several deck rigging loops and terminated in a jam cleat next to the cockpit..  All works well.  this is the Smart Track system by the way.

Paul G.

Thanks Paul.  That's pretty much what I posted last night.  So now I know it will work.  Thanks for the info.

Paul, did you buy the short or long pin version of the Smart Trac?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.