What doesn't epoxy stick to?

What materials can be used to shield clamps or cawls when clamping epoxied parts?

Waxed paper?

Aluminum foil?

Trash bag plastic?

Construction plastic sheet?

Sheet metal?

Domo

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: What doesn't epoxy stick to?

Wax paper and plastic packing tape, in my own experience.  Haven't tried the others.

.....Michael

Epoxy should bond well to all metal, including aluminum foil. It can't adhere to polyethylene, acetal, teflon or wax. I use polyethylene film a lot. A trash bag might work but it's so thin it could tear through while clamping. For something more solid you can really torque down on I bought a sheet of 3/16" HDPE and cut shapes as needed.

To shield clamps from epoxy and to protect the wood I use tongue depressors (craft sticks) wrapped in clear plastic packing tape and cut to a handy length. The clear plastic drop cloths (4mil) work great for large areas. Epoxy likes to stick to just about everything else.

Thanks to all for good tips.

And as a bonus, I now have a use for all those old HDPE food cutting boards I never throw out (just in case y' know).

formica, I have small pieces of formica squares for cauls. 

duct tape is one of my favorite non-stick items.

i use it to make molds (for small epoxy/glass parts) or wrap small pieces of wood to spread the load of clamps. 

plastic sheet (cheap drop cloth materia) and wax paper are my favorite for bigger pieces.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.