Show Me Your Paint Colors

Want to help me with some paint choice inspiration? 

I'm getting to the point where I can devote some mental energy towards deciding the final paint colors for my northeaster dory. Paint swatches are boring, and not always accurate. Anyone want to show off their paint choices (with the paint brand and color name)? 

Here is the current layout that I'm thinking of. 

• Thwarts, rails and transom - varnish
  • Hull (outside) - Bright white, except for top strake in dark blue (white letters for the boat's name whenever I decide what that is)
  • Hull (inside) - Offwhite with intergrip on the bottom panel. Thinking this may hide sand/keep the inside cool. Or at least easier on the eyes without the sun reflecting on a bright white interior. 

Sort of like this boat: 

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Show Me Your Paint Colors

Here's a photo of our Passagemaker Dinghy (take-apart) as finished:

Hull exterior is Behr premium porch paint in high-gloss white.  The interior is a low-gloss color they call "cold lager".  We added some grit to the last coat on the inside of the bottom panel and garboard strakes to help with traction, though the low-gloss paint doesn't seem overly slippery on its own.  Varnish (Helmsman urethane, I think) was confined to the exterior of the transoms and the curved doublers on the interior plus the oarlock risers.  Same paints were used on the spars.

We've been very happy with the interior color; looks good and is easy on the eyes in bright sunlight.  We thought about painting the top strake dark blue or dark green, but decided that it was too wide to carry that off.  Works better in a boat with narrower planks, such as the photo you show above.

If I had it to do over, the only thing I'd change is to leave the rails unfinished except for tung oil.   The paint sometimes rubs off against the topsides of the mother ship.

The Behr paint has held up well.  We picked this for ease of cleanup (latex) and ease of touch up later on.

.....Michael

Exterior is Epifanes Mono yellow with black Wearlon Wetlander on the bottom.  Wetlander is an airboat coating that is super slick and super hard.  Interior is Epifanes enamal (cream) with one coat of their non-skid over top.  Bright work is Epifanes Rapidcoat semi-gloss, which is an untinted varnish that does not have to be wet sanded between coats and can be recoated after after 5 hours.  It does not give the wonderful furnature like finish that Schooner will but is very much easier to apply.  They sell a tinted version called Rapidcoat.   

For the bottom I used Interlux Brightside - Hatteras off white, and Black.  Inside I varnished, several coats with the UV protection then finished with a Satin so it wasn't so glossy.  I kept the seats, rails, spars etc. glossy.  Just launched for the first time a couple days ago and I am loving the boat.  Great under sail or rowing!

Good post, im looking for the same thing but imlooking for blues

Greetings. I just finished a Chester Yawl and varnished he interior using the CLC recommended Interlux finishes, satin over gloss, and finished the exterior with Brightside Saphire Blue. You can see images either at my build photo album (toward the end) at https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jq3xYTZJ912C5mR03, or on facebook under tag #clcchesteryawl, user Brett Binns.

I see that the link doesn't act like a link unless I do this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jq3xYTZJ912C5mR03. ;-) 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.