Foam varnishing brush hack

The Jen brushes are a clear winner for varnishing, yet they are scarce and quite a bit more expensive.  The problem with the cheap foam brushes is that they have no backbond.  I modeled and 3D printed this stiffener sleeve that slips over a cheap foam brush, and helps it perform more like a Jen brush.  No perfect, but helps when you're stuck using big-box home center foam brushes. 

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Foam varnishing brush hack

Okay, so I have no idea how to post a photo.  The image attachment button seems to want a web link, so I put the photo on Dropbox and entered the URL link.  But it didn't work.  Any hints?

No need for a photo, the fact you had the patience to print this thing in 3D tells me it probably works :-)

Haha, yeah, but I really want to post the photo!  If I don't know how to post a photo, how will I post a pic of the boat when it's finished?  It's about two coats of varnish away from being finished....after two years in progress.

https://www.clcboats.com/various/posting-photos-forums.html

Ruud

Ruud - Thanks!

I'm going to start a new forum post with the photo included.

I buy Jen brushes by the box, direct from Jen.

Re posting a pic--I'm sure there are several ways. One way is to go to- tinypic -a free website. You can browse your pictures - upload them and it creates a url which you copy and then paste using the photo icon on your post. Site is fussy . Can only do one at a time and they make you copy a anti robot sign in message. Tip - use the the sites resize feature and copy the url labeled direct link. The other ones dont seem to work. A bit of a PITA but it works. 

A local hardware store here in Tacoma WA sells Jen brushes and rollers. 72 cents (I think) for a 4 inch brush. I don't know if thats good price. I bought a box of 2" foam brushes for cheap from US Composites. They have full width stiffiners in them and work great for varnish. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.