Behold: This is for Northeaster Dory Builders with Lug Rigs and Inwales

If my math is right there are 110 different possible combinations of the Northeaster Dory kit and its various outfitting options.

When I think of having a separate assembly manual for every possible combination, I can hear the pitiful wails of all the instruction manual writers consigned to the Tenth Circle of Hell.

However.

Of those many combinations, one particular pair of options has become especially popular: the so-called "spacered inwales," combined with the lug rig.

This WOULD be straightforward enough, except for the thwart (known by the esoteric term mast partner) that holds up the unstayed mast. Integrating that thing with spacered inwales is tricky. I've posted some drawings here in the past in hopes of lighting a torch for those who have lost their way, but it wasn't quite enough.

26 pages and 78 illustrations later, HERE IT IS, a PDF with 19 megabytes of detailed instructions for Northeaster Dory builders installing inwales AND the lug rig. 

Since it is tedious to type out "Northeaster Dory builders installing inwales AND the lug rig" every time I want to reference this particular combination, it is known as the "TLRNDSI." (The acronym has both official and unofficial translations. We use the unofficial one internally here.)

Builders now have the option of ordering the TLRNDSI package in kit form, with the fiddly bits already cut for you.

Builders looking for inwale installation tips that aren't so hyper-specific should click here for a good how-to piece.

If you've been wondering why I haven't updated the blog in ages, this and a dozen other manuals are my explanation.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Behold: This is for Northeaster Dory Builders with Lug Rigs and Inwales

Thanks John for the personal note and thanks too for this addendum.  Well done, much appreciated.  Dave

Excellent....thank you!

Awesome!

I saw the "TLRNDSI" mount in a recent FB video and was wondering if I missed that announcement somewhere. 

I've just finished glassing my NED. It'll be oar only for now, but will definitely do this upgrade in the future - especially now that it is available as a kit option. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.