For little scratches, I

Posted by Charlie Jones on Sep 23, 2007

use an acrylic filler that comes in a tube, likie a big tube of toothpaste- there are several kinds. I use the 3M Automotive one in red under dark colors and 3 m's white Marine for use under light colors. This is for shallow things like scratches, small chips etc. I wouldn't use it for anything over say 1/32 deep, or there abouts. Squeegee it on, let it cure and block sand it.

Those work VERY well as cosmetic fillers, sand easily and dry fairly quickly.

After re- reading his original post where I see he IS talking very minor scratching ( or now I think he is) that would be a good product.

Of course, for deeper gouges, I'd use epoxy and appropriate fillers for that.

I also use polyester resins in some of my work- doing rebuilds on polyester, production boats for example.

Case in point- on our own sailboat I reworked the companionway from 32 inches square to 24 inches square by adding new fiber glass around the existing opening, building it up to match the 3/8 thick cabin top. I used heavy roving, matt and cloth during the work- for that job, I used polyester resins- it was approriate to the job- but other wise I stick with epoxy.

BONDO, the stuff in auto parts stores, is polyester resin with a filler added. I haven't found it particularly waterproof. Of course they may have a product out that I've not seen. I, like most people who work with this stuff all the time, tend to use what has worked for me for a while, and not take chances with new materials, at least on customer boats- grin.

Hope this gives you some additional insight.

In Response to: Re: absolutely. As far as by Bob Santore on Sep 23, 2007


No Replies.


Follow us on Instagram: @clcboats & @clcteardrop