Posted by Robert N Pruden on Oct 7, 2004

I agree with both of the above statements. I work in a chemical laboratory where the threat of chronic and acute chemical poisoning is a very real concern. For that reason we take precautions to avoid exposure to chemical vapors as much as possible.

That said, if you can find a way to vent the vapors and fine dust particles outside then there isn't any reason why you can't work in your basement. You take the risk of becoming sensitized to the organic components of epoxy is you don't ventilate. I have an old furnace blower that I use when I need to work with chemicals in the house be it for painting with oil based paints or some other use with strong chemicals. The blower must be turned on for entire time that the epoxy is curing, probably teh first few days. It doesn't have to blow hard but it should prevent the vapors from entering the beathable air in the house.

The fine dust particles that no shop vac can filter out will be breathed in and cause fibrosis of the lungs. This condition, also known as leather lung, is characterized by scar tissue forming where the dust particles come in contact with the alvaeoli, which transfer the oxygen in the air to your blood. Chronic (long term) improper ventilation will cause this to happen. More for you to think about.

That's my 0.02$ CDN.

Robert N Pruden

In Response to: Re: epoxy vapour toxic? by LeeG on Oct 7, 2004


No Replies.


Follow us on Instagram: @clcboats & @clcteardrop