varnishing update

Well, after putting the first coat of varnish on the entire boat, I think I need to change my strategy.  I have the boat suspended in air so that I can varnish the entire thing at once... bad idea.  By the time I made a complete rotation around the hull, the varnish was tacking up so fast that I was getting some noticeable lap-marks at the start/stop points.  It looks like I'll be varnishing the deck and hull separately now, using the sheerline as my 'varnish joint'.  Its amazing finally seeing the mahogany under the brilliance of varnish!  Can't wait until I have 8 coats on...

~Chris 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: varnishing update

I came to the same conclusion. The boat sure looks purty hanging there, but was not easy to work on

Use the sheer line as you transition point. I doubt that you would see the marks if you overlap the deck onto the sheer panels.

Here are my two helpers... Building without a garage or shop, I came to the conclusion early that my coffee table is going to get used and that after the first couple of scratches and paddle whacks you will never see the varnish issues. Try for a nice even finish when viewed from 3-4 feet away. The people who know will smile and remember when they first varnished and the people who don't will say how beautiful it is and will never know.

Next season when it is warm enough in the morning, I will sand and add a few coats of varnish. It's time for OkoumeFest!

http://dehager.smugmug.com/Boats/CLC-Mill-Creek-165/6686487_BbGBe#426834984_M6FBk

Unfortunately, I'm "one of those people who know" :)  I've been varnishing various marine hardwoods for nearly 15 years.  The difference is that most of those projects have neat transition points where you can start and stop without noticing.  This project is, of course, a bit bigger!  Nothing a little wet sandpaper and multiple coats of varnish can't fix.  

~Chris 

Hmmmmm, I think the perfectionists are going have to stay at least 10 feet from my boat

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.