Interior Paint

I've been working on the MC16.5 for just over two weeks now and the stitches come out today.  That means, it's time to flip her and prep the hull for glass.  I plan to paint the interior (probably white) and I need to make that purchase. Is there a good interior paint that will not cost me $50?  I've already spent $185 on hull paint and varnish for the decks.  But I will spend the dough if it's necessary.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Interior Paint

Unless you are planning on leaving your boat open to the elements, just use a good quality oil based porch paint.  I'm partial to Benjamin Moore.  I used it inside my dory (which does live outside) and it's held up well for two seasons.

It will be either in a covered boat slip out of the water or sitting inside on a pair of slings.  For some reason, I thought epoxy and oil based paint would not stick.  I guess a good primer over the epoxy and then the paint is the way?

Jeff,

I painted my interior with oil based exterior enamel..., no primer.  Seems to have adhered quite well.  I wouldn't add the weight (i.e., primer).

Larry

Primer's also good for getting a smoother coat, not just adherence. It finishes the job that you started with the fairing compound. Lay down a few coats of primer, sand it with a fairing board, repeat until it looks perfect or you've had enough sanding.

Laszlo

Thanks Guys,

I'll prime and paint the bilge area with some locally sourced paint.  I have Brightsides paint for the hull and regular schooner for the rest. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.