sanding methods for concave surfaces

i'm building a 16' prospector strip canoe. the fairing and sanding of the outside went very well. now that i've flipped it and finishing the inside is there a good sanding devive/tool for the inside surfaces? especially the tighter areas of the ends. thank you

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: sanding methods for concave surfaces

For broad areas, a foam pad on a good random orbit sander can't be beat. They come in several thicknesses, but I find half-inch works well. For tight spaces, you can't beat fingers. Fold half a sheet of sandpaper and glue it together. -Wes

Wrap some sandpaper around a sponge.  The size and stiffness of the sponge can be varied to accomidate almost any curvature. 

Do not be afraid to use an aggressive grit to start with and change paper frequently.

Ed

I just started to build a Chestnut Prospector canoe from Ted Moores   Canoecraft.  I'm assembling the molds and machining the ceder strips.  I'd be most happy to receive any advice or suggestions from your experience.  Please e-mail me at [email protected].

I had good luck sanding the inside of a guideboat with a foam pad on an ROS.  I bought mine at Newfound Boatworks. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.