Question about MC 16.5 bottom and bilge panels

I stiched the bilge panels to the bottom yesterday.  I aligned the bow end of the bilge panels to the bottom as described in the manual (the curve of the panel flattens out just at the tip of the bottom).  The photos below show a gap at the bow and stern end of the boat.  Also, my bottom panels were squared off at the ends.  I'm trying to figure out just how those gaps are going to close.  Should I add a stich to the bottom end at th stern and bow? 

I am anxious to get this out of my basement and into the garage.

stern

bow

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Question about MC 16.5 bottom and bilge panels

At the bow lower skin add a slightly larger hole (one) in the center and drill a hole in each side panel  and stitch them using the one hole. My MC 16.5 looked just like yours. As for the void I just wrapped poly sheet on the outside, held by duct tape and filled the area with epoxy/wood flour mix at both forward and aft areas. I think the idea of the one hole/double wire is shown in the manual somewhere.
Good Luck 
Alan 

Alan,

That is exactly what I just did at the end of my boat.  I'm working from home today and decided to take another look at it.  I drilled the hole and problem solved!  I'll use epoxy to do the rest as you did

Thanks.

Jeff

I tapered the bottom panel and side panels to form a better joint, and pulled it in with a few extra stiches.

Very nice work you've done.

Thanks! The woodworking was the easy part... Now I am trying to get the paint and varnish to look half-way decent. With a dog and cat who always want to help and a small front room in the apartment it has become a challenge.

Nice job. I am "stuck" at the point where I am brginning to attach the sheer panels to the bilge panels. This is much more challenging than assembling the bilge panels. The sheer panels don't bend easily and don't stabd up on their own when stitching them to the bilge panels. Did anyone drill holes in the sheer panels through the sheer strakes and hold them together at both ends so as to be able to stitch along the seam between the sheer and bilge panels?

Thanks

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.