drain/vent plugs or deck hatches or round screw-out bulkhead covers?

I need to make a decision soon.  I am leaning toward the drain plug and then I can add the deck hatch or bulkhead hatch later.  This is for a MC 16.5 which has a lot of useable space fore and aft.  It wil be a lake boat and will have a sailing rig next year.  So, the space could be used.  Is there anything I need to know about hatches? 

I assume I can just go to West Marine or a loca kayak shop for a drain plug.  Is there anything I should look for?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: drain/vent plugs or deck hatches or round screw-out bulkhead covers?

If you don't plan on using the space, drain plugs are easy and simple.  If you do want access, you can install a flush round plastic access plate in the aft bulkhead.  The forward bulkhead is so far forward up under the deck that an access there is useless.  You will want a foredeck hatch.  I installed bulkhead plates fore and aft in my MC 16.5 and have only openned them once in 2+ years of use.

Paul G.

Thanks Paul,

That's the kind of info I need from an experienced MC owner.

Access plates for MC16.5

What size access plate do you recomend for a MC 16.5. The choice is 4, 6, or 8 inch. I am considering the 6 inch. With the exterior plate, it requires 8.25 inches for mounting and the cutout is just over 6 inches. Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Either the 6 or 8 will fit.  Think about what you may want to put in there.  A big set of binoculars or something might require the 8"

When you install the ring, be sure it fits easily without twisting or binding.  Any deformation will make it very difficult to screw in the cover.

Paul

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.