Perimeter lines... yay or nay?

Hi all,

I've been laying out all my deck rigging the past few days in preparation for filling the holes before varnishing next week.  I'm at the point where I need to make a decision about whether to put perimeter lines on the boat.  What is the general consensus for installing them on a wooden kayak? My concerns are that with so much rigging on deck, I'll ruin the look of the boat.  My concerns about not having them have to do with the fact that I'll be doing sea-kayaking as well as flatwater river and estuary paddling, in addition to kayak camping.  We all know how nice it is to have something to grab onto when doing a self rescue or assisted rescue... 

Opinions??  

Thanks,

~Chris 

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Perimeter lines... yay or nay?

Yay!

I  feel they are really necessary if you have any chance of falling out of your kayak in windy conditions.

I'm always amazed at how quickly an empty boat scuds away, and you often only get one grab at it. - You'll probably not be able to outswaim it.

Far from detracting from the look, I find that properly installed lines add to it.

There, 2 cents Canadian - almost at par.

:) 

Another Yay! You may only need 'em once but that's enough. SEEYA Jack

Another yes vote.  I'm installing them on my Shearwater.  When it comes to looks vs. safety, I decided safety has to win.  Kathy

Chris,

I'll echo all that was said above.  Also, some kayaking clubs will not let you participate in their activities unless you have certain safety items, including perimeter lines.  I am a bit computer challenged when it comes to posting pictures, but if you send me your email address I'll shoot you a couple of pictures of my Shearwater 17 Hybrid with all rigging installed.

Paul G.  [email protected]

Sounds good.  I was leaning heavily in that direction, but just wanted to get some consensus.  I've never sailed alone without an inflatable pfd/harness/tether, and have never kayaked without a pfd, paddle float, bilge pump, whistle, etc... so its good to know that perimeter lines fit into the category of must haves. 

I'll be fitting them this afternoon then 'drilling and filling' the 2 dozen holes that I've put in my deck (I hate drilling holes in perfectly good mahogany!!!)

Do people generally run them all the way around, or just foward and aft of the cockpit to the bow and stern, respectively?  I'm trying to figure out how best to get them past the hatch straps and deck bungee loops. 

~Chris

Chris,

Mine go all the way around.  My deck bungies just loop under the perimeter line at the appropriate webbing loops.  I also did a double back so that the perimeter line ends meet in a double fisherman's knot on centerline behind the cockpit.  I used the same arrangement on my MC 16.5.  If you make the webbing loops a little larger whee your bungies go, they can go thru those webbing loops along with the perimeter line.  the offer of some pictures still stands.

Paul G.

I vote: YAY,

You can admire your admire your nice wooden boat (for the last time) with no decklines as she floats away or be thankfull that you had them as you slide back into your seat.  Hopefully you will never need them, but it only takes one time.  Besides, I personally like them, really makes a statement that this is a real kayak for real paddling... not just some toy ;)

Mounted them last night after work.  Thanks for all the input!

~Chris 

I just ordered some line and screws. Very good advice. Thanks all

I'm going to go with an absolute yes on that one.  They make things much easier in the long term if you ever get dumped or you want to pick up trash as you paddle, or all sorts of other reasons.

FrankP

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.