Novice

Guys,

First of all, sorry for how stupid my questions may sound. I am a novice in kayak kit building. In addition to that, my question are probably answered on th kit's manual, but I am so anxious that I can't wait to understand a little better.

Subject 1: From the available tuorial available on CLC website, the show as step 18: " hull assembly is complete when the desck has been sanded and fiberglased ..."

- Is there deck fiberglassed too? Theu "outer" part? How to make a nice transition between the fiberglasses where the hull and the deck joints?

- According to the tutorial, the deck fiberglasses should be installed after the cockpit reinforcements. Is that right?

- Can the fiberglass be sanded after before varnishing?

Thanks,

Gui

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Novice

Gui, what boat are you building? SEEYA JAck

1. Yes, on most of the boats here the outside is glassed. Follow this link to see how I did the transition on my WD12 (it should work for any kayak).

2. I like to install the glass first, then the coaming, but either way will work. Try this link to see how to build a coaming off the boat.

3. Once you fill the weave (but not before), you pretty much have to sand the glass to get it smooth enough for a nice varnish job. Follow this link for a nice description of the process

Welcome to the group,

Laszlo

Laszlo,

Thank you very much for the answer.

Congrats for the documentation that you made available on the web. Awesome. I'll go thru it entirely and I will ask you any doubts that may arise, ok?

Thank you again,

See you,

Gui 

Jack,

I am planning to build a Shearwater for me and Chesapeake 16 for my wife.

Not sure the order though.

Thank you,

Gui

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.