Chesapeake 16 begins today

Hi!  Another newbie here just starting the construction of my Chesapeake 16 today.  I have a few general questions for the experts out there. 

1.  Is there any problem with eliminating the end pours on this boat if I don't plan on using the same style toggles as designated in the plans.  This would be done in the hopes of saving a little time and weight.

2.  Has anyone simplified the combing on a boat like this?  I was thinking of using a strip of bent plywood like on the Severn as this boat will be used as a flat water boat and never see a skirt.  I can't think of any downfall with this change but I don't have the experiance that many of you do. 

Thanks for the help!

Jon Rausch

Shoreview, MN

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 16 begins today

Hello Jon,

I am no expert but am in the final stages of finishing my 16.  Regarding the end pours, I don't think you would save that much weight- compared to what you are trying to protect.  I read recently how someone dropped the from end of their kayak off the roof of their car onto concrete and thanked god they had the end pours.  If not, front end would have been smashed.  My suggestion would be do it.  As far as the coaming, I am installing mine soon and did modfiy it where I took out the knee brace part to give me a little more wiggle room getting in.  I would assume you could do what you are saying, but will have the other experts chime in for you.  It's a lot of fun!  Good luck!

Jon --

Three comments:

The ends of your boat are fairly weak but very vital, and an end pour strenghtens them considerably. Consider the possibility, for instance, of ramming a submerged object, and what that could do to your stem.  You could carve a piece of wood to fit inside the ends, and then epoxy it in place; that would be lighter, put would serve pretty well.

The argument in favor of the standard coaming would be that if down the proverbial creek a ways you ever decide to paddle in more open (and potentially rougher) water, you would be able to do so with a readily available skirt.

And it seems terribly unfair for you to be working on a kayak while I and probably most other kayakers are at work, far from either shop or water ....

jc

The endpours can be replaced with roughly shaped wooden stem & stern pieces bedded in epoxy/woodflour putty. That will give you the strength you need and save half the weight or more (as well as eliminating concerns about epoxy volcanoes). It will also conserve epoxy.

Laszlo

Jon, I did not want to do an end pour on my CH 17 kayak so I made a dam and added wood and epoxy for the ends some what like that which is described by Laszlo. Also, I am thinking about increasing my cockpit size.

good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the responses.  I hadn't thought about the end pour being all that structrual.  The wood block idea is very cool.  Maybe I should go that route for the first boat. 

@jim c.  I am building this a school project so I get to work on it at all hours of the day in a huge indoor heated workspace and I cut all of my panels on our CNC router.  What a way to live. 

-jon

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.