Hello from the Yellow Breeches Educational Center

As a school project our middle school students will be building a Chesapeake Double. Just wanted to say hello. I'm sure we'll have plenty of questions as we progress through the build. We'll be documenting our progres through our blog. Please feel free to check it out.

www.ybeckayak.blogspot.com

Lane Whigham

Yellow Breeches Educational Center

Carlisle, PA

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Hello from the Yellow Breeches Educational Center

Lane,

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to seeing what you and the kids will be doing. Good luck with getting them to stop with building just one kayak! There might be a fleet of doubles in your future.

George K

Hello from the Yellow Breeches Educational Center

You'll find this forum, and especially wonderfully helpful and experienced people like Geroge K. and Lazlo, a tremendous resource.  I built a Wood Duck having never so much as built a birdhouse before, and it floats, and its been a tremendous fun.  One thing to watch out for: the instructions are great but a first timer building for a class o' kids needs might through and divide the tasks into days.  That is because much of the building time I found is actually wait-for-epoxy-to-dry time, but the overnight waits are not always clearly delineated in in the instructions.   I think (but am not sure) there is an experienced builder on the Conodoguinet Creek who might be able to help the unlikely event you need hands-on advice.       

That should be "a first timer building for a class o' kids might like to go through and divide the tasks into days."  I am better, I hope, with stitch-and-glue than I am with a keyboard. Well, actually--not.  Which should give you some encouragement.  Even a klutz can do it.   

So you folks up there at Yellow Breeches are skilled at building more than just robots!

Ron

The kids are doing an awesome job! I'm really impressed by their enthusiasm for the project. I'm their English teacher and they actually look forward to reading the manual! We've got the boat stitched and we're almost ready to start the fillets. Just a few tweaks so that everything is straight and fair. I've posted some of their paint scheme ideas online. If you get a chance, check 'em out nd post which is your favorite.  -Lane

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.