Passagemaker bulkhead edge rounding ... ?

I'm sure it's obvious to everyone but me, but I'm a rank amateur, so please forgive this question about rounding stuff on the PMD.

Early in the manual it says to round over the edges of bulkheads and seats for a neat appearance (ideally with 1/8" roundover bit & router).  I'm assuming that means just the edges that will be apparent -- aft edge of fore seat, fore edge of aft seat, fore & aft edges of center seat, and 'lower cutouts' on the midships bulkhead ... right?

Looks to me like fore & aft bulkhead edges, and most edges of the center bulkhead, will be hidden by fillets. Yes? Or is there some reason that the to-be-filleted edges should be rounded as well?

Sorry, dumb, I know. Don't want to do something too stupid this early.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Passagemaker bulkhead edge rounding ... ?

Edit -- I can see that I'd want to round the bits of bulkheads that extend above the seat, facing inboard. What I'm unsure about is all the edges that will be hidden by fillets.

Dr

I've not made a passagemaker dingy, but your logic is sound.  Anything that will be covered with a fillet shouldn't need rounding..., seems the rounding is for aesthetics/comfort.  At least that's the way we handle bulkheads in the kayaks (i.e., they're filleted to the sides/bottom, hence no rounding over).

Good luck,

Larry

I have almost completed my PMD and your assumptions are correct and by Larry. Also don't forget the handhold cutouts in the Center Board and in the Fore and Aft areas. Also the center board housing looks nice done just like the manual.

Good luck, Alan

Thanks, guys. I will go boldly forward with the router.

More information can be found in the Passagemaker forum:

www.pmdbuilders.net

Come join us and post pictures!

Jim

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.