Winter blues...

Just wanted to let all you guys up north know we Floridians have winter, too. My shop was 40 degrees this morning and after the space heater ran for an hour and a half it was still 40. Global warming rears its ugly head once again...

George K 

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Winter blues...

I just got back from Miami yesterday... couldn't get a flight out because Atlanta had icing problems on the planes.  They could de-ice about 20 planes per hour (with given machinery); there were about 100 in the queue!

Temps last week were 30's at night; 40's during the day... finally started warming up Thu/Fri when I left.  Hope February's warmer!

Larry

Suck it up guys! :-)  

The wind chill outside of Boston is around 5 degrees right now.  I'm alternating xc skiing and carving a paddle to pass the weekends.  

~Chris 

40 isn't that cold, but if your shop isn't insulated and so forth, I can see it being a problem.  In FL, you can probably get by with an unheated shop much/most of the winter??

The shop is insulated and the air conditioner runs a lot in the summer. Space heater gets a few days workout usually but this week is a bit off normal. Our temps are 30 degrees below average, the wind chill here is 29 and it's snowing a few miles south of me right now. And Chris, we live down here so we don't have to suck it up!! I just checked on the shop and it's up to 45. I need a bigger space heater!

No xc skiing, just wild card games while I wait for varnish to dry.

George K 

Point taken.  I guess temps in the 20's is a little extreme for Florida :)  

I'm envious that ya'll can kayak and sail all year down there!  

Under 20 F this morning in my part of the world in NW Florida, sometime called Lower Alabama, or the Redneck Riviera.  No wonder, I am trying to sell and move south.  However, this year all Florida is cold at this moment.

Dan 

Dan, moving south won't bring you any immediate relief, unless you get to Miami (just returned from there Friday)..., but that only works if you speak Spanish!!!

Look on the bright side..., you don't live in Atlanta!

Larry

7 degrees here this morning. Pretty good ice floes in the Hudson

skied toady 0  degrees at the mt

kayak is is on the back porch waittting to get back in the garage to finish

Here in California, East Bay Area, it is cold, foggy, and gloomy.  In the 40's at night.  I know that sounds warm to most of you out there.  We rigged up a tent with four lightbulbs suspended in it to keep the boats' puzzle and scarf joints warm so the epoxy can harden.   That warms it up to 58 or 59.  Then we take them into the house.  It is 53 right now.  Seems real cold to me. 

These are called summer blues here in Palm Desert - when the temp hits 115.  This time of year we get up to temps in the low to mid 40s and see mid-day temsp of about 75.  It's the building and paddling season.  Looks like I have one more weekend of family commitments and I can get back to the Shearwater Hybrid.  A good month of weekends should see her ready to launch.  I feel for you guys in the frozen wastelands.

Paul G

Paul,

Save your sympathies. They may be frozen wastelands now, but they've got to have more water than any place with the word "desert" in its name :-)

Laszlo

Update: Went to the shop yesterday after work and it was 38. Had our last freeze (hopefully) this morning and temps are heading back to the 70's by the weekend. Winter is over, paradise has returned.

George K

George, Glad to hear winter is over. I can go back to Miami beach from Maine. I land at MIA at 3:30 and be paddling by 5. SEEYA Jack

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.