How much fiberglass required for a 17'?

according to the instructions, I need 24' (8 yards) of 6oz fiberglass for the hull.  But my boat is 17' long and this would give me 24 feet of fabric.  Can I purchase just enough to cover?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How much fiberglass required for a 17'?

Don't forget the inside of the cockpit. When you count that in, 24' will be just enough.

I appreciate your input, Laszlo.  I've already glassed my cockpit, so looks like I won't need that much fabric. 

Reading the instructions, they never mention glassing the cockpit under the "glassing the hull" instructions, so I would not have realized what the extra fabric was for.

Thanks,

Runriverrun

I used 4oz for the cockpit, but had purchased 8 yards of the 6oz based on the plans/kit info.  As it turns out, I'll end up using most of it, for additional strips on the hull (bow & stern, where I sanded through and for reinforced glass for abrasion resistance), for reinforcing the coaming (carbon fiber), and various other items.

But it seems you could get by with a purchase of just 18 feet worth (6 yards???).

Larry

Turns out I have plenty.  I just finished glassing the hull and deck with enough left over to do the upper part of the cockit that I haven't done yet, and the various other parts, hull strips, coaming.  It's looking good!

Alas, I return to school on Monday and probably won't be able to work on it anymore till spring break! 

Riverrun,

Don't know where you go to school, but if your temps are anything like mine (lately), you're better off returning to school!  So frickin' cold I can't run a sander!!!

It'll make a great spring project, and an awesome summer launch!

Larry

Oh, so sorry about the frosty weather where ever you are.  It's mid-50's here with mid-40's at night.  And with the use of a heated shop, no comlaints!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.