Drain in Eastport Pram

I was wondering if anyone has put a drain in the Eastport Pram. I was going to use it as a dinghy on davits and would like to drain the water after a rain or something like that. Has anyone done that. If not what would be some of the things to consider before doing it?

Thanks,

Jim

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Drain in Eastport Pram

Take a look at the bottom of the Eastport or any other small pram. The bottoms are very rockered. The place where water would pool is right over the center of the keel. To use a transom drain you would have to hang the boat with the bow pointing in the air.  

I just put a drain in my Annapolis Wherry for similar reasons. It sits in slings with a cover over when not in use. I was afraid that a cover failure during a heavy rain could produce an undesirable feature, two piece boat. I also did not want to put the drain directly on the center line/keel so i moved it just to the side so I was working on relatively flat surface and under the thwart to be out of the way and less likely to be stepped on and bent. I got this one from, Mass Boats in Richmond CA. It will drain water when under way. Does not leak when closed. Pics are here,

http://gallery.me.com/mccartyj#100418&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=3 

Thanks for that. The problems with the transom drain is what I was asking about. Water would have to get pretty deep to drain out that way. Plus you would have to put a tube or something through the back underseat compartment.

The pictures of the center drain is something along the lines of what I have been thinking. I was thinking about glassing in a tube that would fit a standard transom plug and make a "hood" on the bottom to handle the angle. Has anyone tried anything like this?

Does anyone think that that would be too much drag at rowing or small horsepower speeds?

Thanks,

Jim 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.