Silca powder ?

I'm a confused newbee ( and a forum search didn't help)

I'm building a Chester Yawl and I'm about to begin sticking parts together but I'm confused about the epoxy mixing instructions for the scarf joints. They talk about mayo consistancy etc, which I get, but the manual says " We add silca powder to the epoxy ......".  Does "we" mean CLC added it, or does "we" mean the boatbuilding public, as in "me" ? 

Is the silca already in the epoxy or do I add it ? I ask because I don't think I have any. Unless they're talking about the wood powder or the cello-o-fill

"there are no dumb questions"

Paul

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Silca powder ?

Hi Paul: Silica powder is cello-fill or sometimes cabo-sil. Mix the required amount of Epoxy/Hardener and add the cello-fill gradually until a milky colored mix is acheived.

Passagemeker dinghy and Mill Creek builder, Alan

very helpful, the instructions talk about silica powder, but no where on the MAS Cell o-Fill does it refer to it being silica powder

Folks, silica and Cell-O-Fill achieve the same affect..., the difference is that silica dust has some health issues (wear a mask if that's what your using - stuff puffs up into the air as you mix it).  Cell-o-fill, on the other hand, has no more harmful affects than house dust... a much prefered option (and what CLC ships with their kits, I believe).

Good luck,

Larry

That's because it isn't. It's a cellulose-based filler. Think of it as paper flour. Silica powder is sand flour.

The only reason to add these thickeners (including wood flour) is to keep the epoxy from flowing out of the joint. Glues made with silica end up smooth,  very tough and hard to sand. Wood flour is easier to sand and the colors are a better match but it can end up a bit lumpy if mixed too dry. Never used cell-o-fill, so no observations on that.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.