jimmy skiff

Has anyone built a jimmy skif? if so i would appreciate any advice, ready to try.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: jimmy skiff

I haven't built one, but I've read the plans thoroughly and have rowed and sailed them at Okoumefests over the years. They should be very easy and forgiving to build (check out the building gallery). The flat bottom and lightly curved sides should require no special talents or skills. It would be an excellent first boat.

It's large enough to carry 3 adults when you don't care about speed. It's a very well-mannered sailer. Be sure to take oars with you in case the wind dies. The only thing I found even mildly annoying about it was the way the flat bottom slapped the water whenever we hit a motorboat wake, but all flat-bottomed boats do that, not just the Jimmy Skiff.

Laszlo

Yes OHIO, a significant number of people have built the Jimmy Skiff, including myself.  Check out the 'Main Gallery' link from the CLC Jimmy Skiff page. http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/jimmy-skiff-rowing-sailing-kit.html

Also, I wrote a construction blog while I was building mine: http://jimmyskiff.blogspot.com

I had a great time building and using my Jimmy Skiff.  What Laszlo says is true, and the slapping can be minimized by keeping the bow down and slicing into the wake with the hard chine.  Let me know if you have any specific questions. - Ron

I have Jimmy skiff study plans and I wonder if anyone has put a shallow V bottom into this design. I am also sceptical of having a flat bottom with the pounding it would do in even small wind waves. I have built a 13 foot mill creek and it's a very nice little kayak.

richp,

I built the Jimmy Skiff from the full size plans, and would suggest that the appeal of building this design is its simplicity.  Changing the hull to a shallow V bottom is certainly do-able, but why?  This would add complexity to the build, and possibly make the hull less stable, at least in some conditions.  If a shallow V is what you want to build, then I recommend that you find a design that was drawn with the shallow V by the designer.

When I first started sailing my Jimmy Skiff a few years ago, I was concerned about the pounding as well, but soon learned how to keep the proper trim (weight balance), and maneuver the boat in ways to minimize and nearly eliminate the pounding in most situations.

I have sailed in bays and coastal waters in wind up to 30 kts, with steep, breaking waves from 2 - 3 feet, without any pounding.  I do admit that some inconsiderate powerboats passing too close, and too fast can cause some significant pounding, but I not sure that a shallow V of this size would be much better in this circumstance.

Ron http://jimmyskiff.blogspot.com

I agree with Ron Paro.  I've built a 17' catketch sharpie to Reuel Parker plans, and share Ron's enthusiasm for the type.  They're relatively easy to build, and surprisingly seaworthy and fast.  They tend to pound when they're not heeled, but when one is sailing, the boat's usually heeled over to some degree, at which point the chine acts rather like a shallow V-bottom.

That said, what RichP is suggesting is exactly what Chesapeake watermen and boatwrights did with shapries near the end of the 19thCentury, first applying some deadrise (or V-bottom) aft of the centerboard trunk to develop what became known on the Bay as flatties, and then extending it for the full length of the hull.  The famed Chesapeake Bay skipjacks are the best known example of these deadrise boats, but smaller deadrise skiffs were common, too.  As Ron points out, that does increase the complexity of the design, however.  Howard Chapelle and Parker both have nice discussions of such boats.

Ohio,

I have built two Jimmy Skiffs and they are great for a small boat.  Row well and are great under small mototr.  I have a 3hp Mercury on one and it is impressive how fast it moves along.  I use it for trot-lining for crabs and have used it for tons of fishing.  Most of the time it sits off the end of my dock or gets pulled into the marsh.  With some paint and good layers of glass it is really maintaince free.  Like my other wooden boats I beat the crap out of it.  I have even been successful in trolling for blues, Spanish and strippers while using the 3hp.  You can also build the boat in less than 40 hours (labor time)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.