Skerry Build from Plans

Hi Everyone,

As a winter project, I'm building the "Skerry" from plans and instructions bought from CLC. I'm documenting the process via web album here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pbjsndwch/BuildingTheSkerry#

I try to take pictures of steps and details not normally documented in other Skerry albums. Also, mouseover or click on the picture to see some of my comments. I'll try to update the album every other day or so.

The most challenging part so far was cutting and gluing the scarfs. Now that I've done it though, I'm pretty sure I could do a better job on the next boat.

Please feel free to post comments or questions! 

Thanks!

Jean.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry Build from Plans

Jean,

Looks like you're off to a great start on your Skerry. Are you going to build the sail version? If so you won't be disappointed as it's a most pleasurable boats to sail. Rows well, too, but I don't like rowing.

Keep up the good work and update us often.

George K 

Hi George,

Yup! I plan on building the sailing version. I'd much prefer to sail than to row... ;)

Jean.

Jean,

I'm building a Skerry from the CLC kit, also the sailing version. This is my first boat so I thought the kit route would make the process simple. I'll keep up with your progress. Based on your post we are about at the same place in the build. Best of Luck

Patrick

Hi Patrick!

Good to hear you've chosen the Skerry! So far, I've found it to be a fun build. Honestly, I find it hard to focus at work as I'm always thinking about the next step.

Are you planning any modifications to your Skerry, such as inwales or or the lug rig?

Tip: After removing the wires, to fill the laps with the epoxy mix i used a plastic spoon. This fills the lap to just the right level and makes cleanup easier. Just don't make the epoxy mix too runny or it'll flow towards the stems and drip!

Cheers,

Jean. 

Hello, I want to ask something here, because I will start to build the Skerry. I was doubt about building  the Skerry or the Jimmy Skiff, but I like more the lines of the Skerry, so now that I´m almost decided, I wan to know if Skerry is much more difficult to build than the Jimmy Skiff, I´m a little concerned about the lapstrake method on this, but looks great.

Now a silly question maybe, I live in Mexico, and here is difficult and expensive to get the fiberglass cloth, so what is the main function of it? is something critical and should not be omited? It adds structural resistance and waterproofing, or I can use a marine varnish instead? Here fishermen uses fiberglass boats made from a mold, and that fiberlass is not a cloth, is the one used to make bathtubs and small pools, is not even and is more thicker, is a bunch of fibers on all directions aglutinated to form a fabric shape.

Thanks a lot 

Hi Sailandy,

I was a little put-off by the lapstitch method at first, but after having done it I see that it's not as difficult as I thought. The best thing is to have a helper or two when wiring the panels. Many hands make light work!

I believe the fiberglass on the bottom interior/exterior of the Skerry is for abrasion resistance when dragging it up the beach. I also think the fiberglass is critical for the joint between the bottom panel and the first panel.

That being said, I wonder if it's possible to simply fiberglass tape the seams inside and out? The bottom would be more prone to scratches from rocky beaches I suppose. Can anyone with more experience elaborate?

Thanks!

Jean.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.