Matunuck finally complete

I finished my Matunuck this past Spring but I got so busy surfing it and fihsing, etc that I put off the final finish until this past week.

My main purpose for this post is to thank the folks on this board for the huge amount of information and reassurance I got from checking this board regularly. Most recently I followed Lazlo's very nice, detailed description of the graphite/epoxy bottom which I used on this boat

I built this boat from CLC plans - it was my second boat and first from plans - and the experience was even more rewarding (and sometimes challenging) than I thought it would be.

Lastly, thanks to Nick Schade for an awesome design. The ultimate compliment for this boat is when board surfers come up to me and want to talk and tell me how cool my boat is (if you don't already know, board surfers and kayakers do not typically get along very well).

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Matunuck finally complete

I'll try again

Beautiful!!!!

Thank you for your pictures and your comments.  We enjoyed them very much, poring over the pictures.  We are going to start our Matunucks this weekend, if the wind dies down.  I am encouraged by your words.  And I can't wait to get out there in my boat.  Although, I want to know: why did you put your fins so far forward?  It seems like a good place for them, as that's where your body weight is.  The plans call for them to be farther back, like 16 inches from the leading edge,  or the "stern." 

But you did a great job, and I am encouraged.  It looks great.

Dawn

If I may address your fin question, There are two types of fins generally used: A center fin, and thruster fins (to the outside). Unless you're a pretty serious surfer, you are unlikely to need thruster fins, which exist to provide bite in hard turns. The center fin is mainly there to provide straight tracking, so that the boat goes where you point it. If you mainly intend to "cruise" a wave without turning much, a rearward centerfin placement works the best. If you want to turn a lot, you're better off with the fin closer to your center. I'd recommend that you purchase a finbox which allows a range of placements so that you can "stiffen" or "Loosten" it's handling.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.