WoodDuck 12 in Finland

So here we go my WoodDuck 12 build.

I purchased this kit a year ago now and due to our daughter being form just didin't have the time (suprise). So I'm eventually going to start. Being in the location I am finding my fellow builders is impossible. So I'm attemting via the forum to pick up some tips here and there and hopefully find some help if needed.

So how is it starting? Well Sunday was DAY 1 and I started the bevelling process. But on following the plans I'm wondering if there is a mistake in the manual. It said the longest parts on the sides are the bow and the shorter peices are the stern. But as I laid out the forms, my bow form is at the stern, which can only mean that -it's the stern and the parts layout in the builders book has the bow and stern mixed up.

Well next step would be to build legs to cradle this boat. I thought of building legs that have a strap between them to cradle the boat, or then before I stich the bottoms and side I'd use the forms to make female forms to match the hull so they wood sit perfect. This is more time consuming though and I'd need another set of forms to attatch to the same legs to hold the top of the WoodDuck. I wonder what the best would be. I'm worried about twists in the build and thought using the forms to cut matching 'u' parts to catch the hull would help also to remove any twists later and making the top match more acurate.

Any comments.

Paul

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WoodDuck 12 in Finland

Hi Paul...

I'm building a Wood Duck 12 (hybrid, meaning a wood strip deck instead of panels) from plans.  The joints on my boat are toward the bow, probably about where my knees will be when I sit in it.  I don't think it's a big deal as long as the final part is shaped right.  In fact, my manual says, "Let the joints fall where they may."  Just make sure you know which end is which before you put in the bulkhead and forms.

For a building surface I took a full-sized plywood panel and cut it in half lengthwise.  I ran a 2X4 along each edge, inset a few inches to allow for clamping (here in the U.S. a "two by four" is a common board available in long pieces...sorry I don't what the Finnish equivalent might be.)  The boards should be vertical rather than flat against the plywood.  This gave me two long tabletops that I put end-to-end on saw horses.  I'm stiching my hull now and I still haven't reached a point where I need cradles more than I need a flat surface.  When I do need to hold the boat upright, I will build a few simple stands to put on top of the table.

If your shop is small like mine, you could cut one of your tabletops down so the total length is as long as the side panels (which are longer than the boat, don't forget.)

Good luck!

Scratch

Paul,
Don't fuss so much over the supports. Simple cradles on a table like Scratch is doing work fine. I made cradles out of scraps of plywood that I attach to sawhorses using deck screws. They are about 60cm wide x 40 cm high and have a shallow V cut into the top that is about the shape of the bottom of the bulkhead. I then cover the V with foam pipe insulation. They support either the hull or the deck, depending on which part I'm working on. The other part is simply set aside. Once you have stitched the panels together, the hull and deck hold their shape very well without support.
-Wes

just to let you know I do read these comments. Thanks for the tips. I'll try and get the stands made this week and not be too fussy about it. Then I'll have a crack at asembeling the bottom this weekend.

Scratch: 2 x 4 is a term used here in Finland too. Don't worry about the language as I'm from England originally.

Thanks Wes for the support on the supports :-)

Paul

Paul...

What a relief, I was worried I'd have to explain why a 2x4 is only 1.5 x 3.5 inches.

By the way, I used a squirt bottle to soak my bow and stern prior to stitching, and after about 10 minutes I was able to easily bend them into shape with only my hands and a few clamps.  So have faith in that part of the process.

Scratch

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.