paint then varnish, varnish then paint??

I have my Millcreek 16.5 ready for the final step, the finish. I'll be overlapping the paint from the hull to the deck about an inch with paint and varnishing the deck. i have my fineline tape, my interlux primer and paint and the most expensive quart of varnish that exists in the universe. So, paint then varnish or varnish then paint.  bring on the advice.

Toolboxtoons.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: paint then varnish, varnish then paint??

I varnished 1st, then overlapped the paint onto the varnish.

Ralph

Hi,

Either way will work.

I went the opposite route to Ralph.  I masked the edge of the paint line, then painted (if you're undercoating, do a thin line of the final paint colour along the masked edge, otherwise undercoat colour may show through when removing masking tape).

My reasoning was (a) paint is a harder finish than varnish so less succeptible to scratching if not applied over varnish and (b) it's much easier to wipe varnish drips off paint than the other way around.

If you do apply the varnish first, do a test piece to ensure it won't crack and applies properly.

Hope this helps,

Darren
Melbourne, Australia

I followed the aussies advice...sorry Ralph. i layed on my 1st coat of interlux pre-coat, i'll sand tonight and see how it looks. plans are to have this thing wet by Memorial day. we have a fine lake "Lacamas Lake" here just prime for a new CLC boat to make its maiden voyage.

cheers

toolboxtoons

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.