first luanch

Hi Everyone,

Just had the first luanch of my Great Auk in less then ideal conditions and she handled great. The lesson of the day is don't launch in whitecaps without a spray skirt but only took a few over the side. The first landing took the glass off down to the wood on the stem though. Glad it hasn't been sanded or varnished yet. Has anyone tried putting a metal skid plate on their bow before? If so how was it done?

Thanks,

Chris

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: first luanch

Well done with the launch, Chris. Here's some brass 1/2 ovals suitable for what you want. Click on the picture for more info.

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo,

But I'm thinking more of a wrap around plate like Cris Craft used on some of their bow and transome corners. I suppose a brass plate could be hammered out over a form but haven't tried it before. There's plenty of sanding and varnishing before that though.

Thanks again

Chris

Laszlo, great idea for protection and classy look.  The appropriate bronze screws etc. don't usually come with various products that require them.  I've had a hard time finding them and wonder if you have a provider?  I realize I could probably find something on the Internet but it's usually more productive to ask the experienced folks first!  Thanks....Bob H.

Hey Bob,

Not my idea, others thought of it long before me. Yeah, that's odd about the screws. CLC sells the 1/2 ovals, but they don't sell the matching screws. I get my bronze fasteners from various places. Since I live near Annapolis I have quite a choice locally so I'm probably not much help. I'd suggest a marine supply store if there's one near you, otherwise a mom & pop hardware store. If all else fails, there's mail order.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.