Fiberglassing question?

I'm sanding my hull and anticipate putting glass on it this week (Friday, hopefully).

Question:  Is it better to try and glass the entire hull at once? or could I glass half one day, half the next, creating a 2-4 inch overlap along the keel line?

My fear is that I'll get half of it glassed and have to stop anyway, and then won't get a good (seemless) start on the other side.  The epoxy starts to bother me after a while and the entire deck seems a bit much (for me) in one sitting.

Appreciate any thoughts;

Thanks,

Larry

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fiberglassing question?

It is much better to do the entire thing at once.  The single, continuous layer of fiberglass will be much stronger than two overlapped pieces.  

RE: Fiberglassing question? for Casey:

Do you know about how long I can expect it to take to wet out the entire surface?  6oz cloth and unthickened MAS.

Maybe I'm fretting over nothing, and I'd prefer to take the better option (strength-wise).

Thanks,

Larry

I would set aside 4 to 5 hours.  It might take a lot less time, but it definitely helps to not be pressured to go fast.  I really think it is worth it to do it all in one go in addition to better strength you would be left with a raised spot where the fiberglass overlapped.  Also, if you are not used to working with glass, you run the risk of the edges of the overlapping fiberglass fraying while you are applying the epoxy.  Then you end up with all these fibers that you have to try and sand down.  

If the epoxy is bothering you, make sure you're wearing a good quality organic respirator.  That will prevent inhaling any fumes.  I also concur about doing the hull in one shot.  I think after I had the glass laid out, smoothed, and trimmed, the actual wetting out took about 2.5 hours or so.  Like Casey said, don't rush it.  

-Chris 

Casey & Chris,

Thanks for the tips.  I'll just be sure to have everything prep'd and ready to go before I start mixing epoxy. 

I do have a good (filter) resperator, which I wear now.  Initially I didn't think/know the fumes would be such a problem.  That mask is getting lots more use these days.

Sanding tomorrow; will spred the cloth and wait for a good evening (Mon/Tue) to start the pour/spread.  Wish me luck!

Larry

Also, try to get a trusted helper to pump the epoxy and mix it while you spread it.  This makes things go much faster and cleaner.  My wife mixes, hands me the batch, I pour and spread. By the time I have it to a dry edge she has the next batch ready.  It's a great system.  Good luck.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.