Painting the hull

I was just reading the Tips for Boatbuilders section regarding painting the hull.  I just wanted to hear from somebody who's "gone before me" about whether I should use the foam brush or the roller.  They talk about each in the tip, but no preference on which one is best.  So...which is best?  Rollers, foam brushes, or a combination?  Or does it make a difference?

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Painting the hull

Just a couple more additions to the question.  How many coats of primer should I apply?  As of now I have one coat applied.  Also, should I remove the tape for sanding, then reapply the tape for painting?

Hi PDaddy

I got away with one coat of primer on a less than perfect hull on my chesapeake 16, though the clouds of dust billowing quoted in the builders tips did not eventuate, fortunately as I was sanding in my shed after hours. My one piece of advice is to get the primer tinted to the eventual colour of your hull if possible.

For my topcoat I am using a foam roller only, unfortunately it does take quite a bit to get decent coverage as I am painting deep blue over white primer. number 3 coat goes on tonight so I hope it will be more consistent coverage. I thought of using a "normal" gloss type roller, however a mate has reminded me not to take shortcuts after a 12 month build. My thoughts are that it will take a minimum of 5 coats due to the primer, however the end result should be worth it!

I used yellow foam epoxy rollers to apply the paint (over one coat of sanded primer) and tipped off the paint with a good quality foam brush.  The best tip is to carefully follow the manufacturer's directions concerning thinning.  This allows the paint to flow and find its level.  A bit trickier when doing vertical surfaces to avoid runs but you have to thin the paint to get a smooth streak free finish.  I would remove the tape and reapply after sanding.  Here's my MC with 3 coats of Interlux Brightside.

Thanks for the responses.  You've been a great help.

Not that I'm a big fan of goobering up the beautiful wood hull of a boat with paint, I've found it necessary once in a while -- like on my Eastport Pram so that it will match my pocketShip color scheme.  When I need to paint, I follow the instructions in the CLC Shop Tips, "Finishing"....foam roller, tipping out with a foam brush. Same process does the best job with varnish, BTW. Works perfectly for a glass-like finish. See:

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing/painting_polyurethanes.html

Good luck, Jer  http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus

So, forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but could somebody define "tipping" for me.  They use the term in the tips section, and a number of you talk about it here, but I really don't know what it means to tip.

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing/painting_polyurethanes.html

Tipping is using a foam brush to smooth out the bubbles left by a foam roller.  I suggest you go to the above URL, which is CLC's Shop Tips on Finishing.  All is explained there much better than most of us could do it.  Jer 

Here's what CLC says about painting.  Jer 

"Use A Foam Roller And Foam Brush - Marine polyurethane paints must be applied thinly and evenly or they will 'sag.' Foam rollers and brushes are perfect because they don't hold much paint and you can throw them out when you're done. Use the roller to spread the paint; you should apply the paint so thinly that the roller almost feels dry. Depending on how quickly the paint is tacking up, stop every 24 inches or so and 'tip' out the bubbles left by the roller with a foam brush. Use only the lightest pressure on the brush, and always maintain a 'wet edge': make brush strokes in one direction only, moving from dry surface to wet. Never go back with your brush to catch 'holidays' or sags; these paints tack up very quickly, and you will invaribly make the ugly spot worse. Save the fix for the next coat."

Got it.  Thanks.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.