after Madison demo day....I'm not sure if I should get CH17, LT or something else

So I took a look at  CH17 and CH17LT at Madison demo day. Haven't tested on water but tested them both on the ground. I'm 5'11'' (195 lbs) and I'm not sure if the cockpit was a perfect tight fit or just a little bit too small...I tested both kayaks bare foot and the cockpit was big enough but not as roomy as I was expecting (I'm not sure if that's how it should feel..the last kayak that I paddled a few weeks ago was Prijon seayak and if felt much roomier...).

Also, if there is anybody in the Chicago, IL area that has either one of those kayaks, please let me know?

Thank you guys.

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: after Madison demo day....I'm not sure if I should get CH17, LT or something else

CH cockpits are supposed to be snug. That's why builders add pads, braces, etc. to the cockpit. It makes them more maneuverable, responsive and easier to roll.

If you're happier with a looser fit, you might want to consider a Wood Duck 12. Lots of room in that cockpit.

Laszlo

RE: after Madison demo day....I'm not sure if I should get CH17, LT or something else

Laszlo,

that would make  a lot of sense.

Now the biggest dilema....CH17 vs CH17LT....I'm planning on using it on the Lake Michigan...and also on some weekend trips.

mxaexm,

LT will be a little bit "tighter" feel and not as "roomy".  Other than that, they feel essentially the same to paddle (at least to me).  For what it's worth, I'm 6'1 165-170 pounds with size 12-13 shoes.

FrankP

Isn't the cockpit area the same in LT17 and 17?

I am from the SW Chicago area and was at the Madison Demo as well and was very glad I went.  I am 6'1 220 lbs and found all three, 17, 17LT and 16LT a great experience.  I agree I was a little concerned about the foot room as I could stretch my size 11 barefoot and almost touch the top of the inside deck.  I asked about that while I was there and the rep assured me that the way my foot would be positioned it would not be a problem.  I did not notice a diffence, if at all in all three cockpits.  The 16LT seemed a little more "tippy" when I intially was getting in and out, but I thought it handled great in the water.  It seems to come down to how much storage volume I will want, which is not much.  I am now deciding between the 16 and 17LT.  Great Kayaks though, much faster than my plastic 10 footer.  Very happy experience.  Let me know if you found suppliers in the Chgo area, I might be able to help if you need any.  Good luck!!

Kiz,

are you planning on building from kit or plans? I'm still undecided. most likely I will end up building the LT 17.

Is there any place to buy marine plywood in Chicago or somewhere close?

I am going to build from plans.  Yes, even though we live next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world, Marine lumber 1/8th inch is hard to find.  I came up with three locations.  One is Wood World in Chicago that carries all the brands of Marine lumber,  but it is pricey- up to $95 sheet for top grade.  I found the "supplier of marine grade wood" at Door and Plywood Co. I believe in Counrtyside or Palos Hills.  I will double check and get a number for you.  His name is John and he will sell the wood, but has a $150 minimum order.  He said he would sell me three sheets of Okoume for that.  He also has the other marine grades at much cheaper price, but again, $150 min order.  I found another place at Johnson Workbench in SouthBend IN #574-277-8350 which has a great selection at very low prices.  He has a worker by the name of David that lives in Tinley park, IL that would be willing to bring it if you would meet him in Tinley Park?  I know it sounds odd, but I tried too cut cost were I could.  I hope this helps.

Kiz,

Thanks so much for the info. You can email me at [email protected] instead of posting here. How much do you estimate will the wood cost to build a kayak? How much cheaper is to build it from plans vs kit? So are you building CH16 or CH17LT?

I sent you a long email regarding what I have went thru so far in trying to find my supplies.  I have more time than money, but I have to admit it is very difficult to find inexpensive supplies in the Chicago area.  CLC is very competitive on pricing when all is said and done.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.