Home made wood flour

I needed just alittle wood flour and didn't have any left so i used the dust from my sander's bag after sanding the deck before glassing it. Seemed to work out ok...do you guys see any probs with doing so?-Chris

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Home made wood flour

I've done the same thing, and it's worked out well.  After all, that's basically what wood flour is, anyway.

DANGER: I used wood dust from the bag on my orbital sander for my boat as I have done with furniture as a filler in the past. Apparently in the bag which I had blown clean with a compressor before 'loading' with the appropriate sanding material, was a few tiny particles from my previous project- red enamel. The undetected red particials exploded with color well into the mix as it dried, So some of the seams on my Shearwater deck have a destinctive red glow.

Lew

fisherman,

No trouble with that at all, that's where the wood flour in the kits comes from, after all.  It's probably filtered a bit to get consistent particle size, but it's the same stuff.

I've often done that to get a better color match for projects and have even used white cooking flour if I want a really light colored goop.

FrankP

Glad this was brought up, I was going to use the saw dust from a table saw which I filtered out the large chunks.  Does it has to be sanding saw dust?  Also, I did not know about the baking power as a thickner.  In a picture of expoxy that was thiickened it looked "creamy" like paste.  Could I use the mixture for the sheer clamp and other wood to wood attahcments?  Is there a certain measurement you use?  I was told the texture for the fillets should be like peanut butter and like a thick paste for the sheer clamps?  Thanks in advance for the input.

Kiz.

I tried to use saw dust from my table saw and not only filtered out the large chunks but put it in my small coffee grinder to make it even finer but it was still not fine enough to use for small joints...you really need it to be super fine.

I found a good supplier of sanding dust for my fillets.  Can I also use on the sheer clamps, but obviously using a more "pasty texture" instead of a "Peanut butter texture"  as for the fillets?

NO.  Wood flour and wood flour + mixtures are for fillets.  Use silica/cab-o-sil/(substitute brand name) to thicken for (gap-filling) glue joints.

I'll disagree with fisherman on this one.  I use tablesaw "dust" unfiltered for many joints.  I wouldn't use it for any critical joints that aren't going to be reinforced, but I use it all the time.

Wood flour works fine for any of the joints, but finer powders work better for "structural" integrity joints like sheers.  Silica isn't necessary but it's a lot stronger than wood flour.

FrankP

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.