how to attach footbraces

Hi,I built a boat (Chesapeake 16)at a womens workshop.But I took the boat home without any hardware on it,the workshop was over. I pre-drill the holes for the foot braces  at the workshop and I have the footbraces,but no hardware. Do you use bolts from the outside and use a nut on the inside? How will that look?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: how to attach footbraces

The bolts, nuts, washer, and seal should of come with the foot braces. The fasteners are 1/4 stainless steel. You can buy them in an ACE or other hardware stores. 

I would fill in the holes and use the footbrace mounting kit.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boatgear/footbraces_rudders/

Arlene --

If your boat wasn't structurally complete, I'd agree with MrKim's suggestion, as the "hidden" mounts are an attractive option.  But if I understand correctly, your deck is already in place.  Is that correct?  If so, it would be a difficult job, I think, to use the footbrace mounting kit which MrKim suggests, as properly positioning and supporting the forward mounts while the epoxy cured would reuire you to be working in the very awkward and confined space at the forward end of your cockpit, and it would be easy to make a mistake that would be a chore to correct, I think.  It would be far, far easier to use the conventional approach of bolting through the hull.

If you do that, you are properly understanding the process of mounting the braces using through-hull bolts.  Short bolts -- probably the 1/4"-20 truss head stainless steel machine screws described in CLC's catalog and costing 18 cents each  -- will do the job.  With this type of screw, you won't even need a washer between the screw head and the hull.  As roy2 suggests, use a seal -- I used a small amount from a tube of marine silicon sealer I got at a marine supply store -- to ensure that the hole trhough the hull is properly sealed around the bolt.  It looks and works rather like caulking you might use to seal a bathtub or window around the house.  I used the adjustable aluminum footbraces described in the CLC catalog, and with those you don't even need a nut, as the aluminum track is threaded.

You voice an understandable concern about appearance.  That's a personal judgement, of course, but take a look at the photos of the LT-16 in CLC's onine catalog.  In the 2nd and 5th photos (showing a quarter view of the boat on the beach, and a quarter view of a gentleman in a hat paddling the boat) you can see the bolt heads, and get a sense of how they affect the appearence. They're also apparent in the two photos of the Ches. 18 in which the paddler is hauling a fish aboard.

I hope this helps you decide what to do!  In any case, congratulations on building your Ches. 16!  I hope you and your boat have a long and happy relationship!

-- Jim

RE: how to attach foot braces

I did use the mounting kit with the deck on.  And yes, it was not as easy as with the deck off.  I used the foot brace as a spacer to prevent any mistake.  Also made sure I did not epoxy the foot brace to the mount.

Kim

Arlene --

I'm definitely not trying to argue with Kim or maintain that my way is better -- it all ends up being a personal choice, and as long as you're happy with the outcome, you did the right thing, whichever way you went. Plus, there's a lot to be said for the hidden mounts Kim favors.

Given your situation, I'm still thinking the more traditional/older/"heck, it's the way I did it" approach might be the better bet for you.  You've already got those holes in the sides of your hull. If you fill them and use the hidden mounts, you still have a visual anomaly (two, in fact, on each side) on your hull, plus you still have to accurately position the mounts, plus you'll be working in the awkward confines of your cockpit, plus you've made the project into a longer, multi-part task. However, since you've got your holes drilled (I assume you already know they match the needs of your particular footbraces), you've already solved the problem of locating everything, and all that remains is getting the screws/bolts and sealer, and putting it all together.

By the way, is the hull finished, i.e., painted or varnished?  If so, filling and sanding down the epoxy you use to plug the holes will compromise the finish, and be another point against the hidden mounts and in favor of the through-bolts.

If you decide you don't want the screw heads on the outside of the hull, by all means, take Kim's advice. Work carefully so it all lines up and stays put while the epoxy cures, and be happy with the result.  Those plugs in the hull (assuming you use epoxy) won't be all that noticeable, and they should be plenty strong.

-- Jim

RE: how to attach foot braces

Sorry if I added confusion. My way is the hard way.  The thru boats are fine and lots and lots of yaks have them.  What Jim says is perfectly fine. Also call the CLC staff if you have trouble finding the right hardware.

Kim

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.