MD Trailer Registration

Another question:

I have ordered the Trailex SUT-200 trailer, and want to be sure I am ready to get it registered in MD as soon as it arrives.  Does anyone have any experience registering a mail-order trailer in MD?  Perhaps one of the CLC experts could point me in the right direction?  Thanks! 

-Justin

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: MD Trailer Registration

From the MD MVA web page:

How do I title a homemade trailer?

A "homemade" trailer is a trailer that is built by someone other than a licensed manufacturer.

You can apply for a title for a trailer weighing 5,000 pounds or less in person at any of the MVA’s full service branch offices. You also can mail the documents to the MVA’s Mail In Title Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying.

Justin,

The second half of my message cut off. Follow the link to the MD MVA web page to see what documents you need.

Laszlo

I don't live in MD, so your mileage may vary, but my Trailex SUT-200 trailer came with all the documentation needed to get a title and registration. In Washington, a "home-built" trailer needs to be inspected by the state patrol before you can register it.....and  I did *NOT* have to do that with the trailex trailer.... so, at least as my state is concerned, *assembling* the assorted pieces of a trailer that was designed and built by a manufacturer is not the same as *building* a home-built trailer. I just walked a couple blocks from my house over to the county courthouse (where the local dept. of licensing is), handed them the paperwork, wrote a check, walked out with a shiny license plate & registration, and the title arrived in the mail not long afterwards.... it took way less time and excitement to do that than it had to assemble the trailer (which happened in my dining room, and was  a source of amazement to my neighbors when my friends helped me carry it out the front door!)

Julie K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.