Transporting Chesapeak 17

Looking for the best way to transport my Chesapeak 17 that I just finished....my 7 year project so don't judge me :)

I have the Ford Maverick and I purchased the Elevate Racks for the bed. These racks are similar to the Thule & Yakima.  I've read some people have used the foam pads on the cross bar, the Malone SeaWings and other racks.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Malone foam pads.  I kind of like the thought the foam pads will provide more area on the bottom of the kayak which will make it more secure....I could be wrong about this.

Would love to hear what others have used and their experience with it. 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Transporting Chesapeak 17

I have a similar system on my GMC PU and have used Malone's foam blocks successfully for years.  The only negative is that the blocks can slide side to side a little if you have a stiff cross wind, allowing the boats to bump each other.

I also have one set of the Malone SeaWings shown here on my trailer.  The SeaWings are definately more secure because there is no side movement and they cradle the boat a bit more.

One other choice is the roller systems by Yakima.  I have a pair of saddles for the front rack and a pair of Hully Rollers for the back.  Makes it easy to load by putting the bow on the rollers then picking up the stern and pushing forward.  I can load our heavy Sheaarwater Double by myself with this system.  Sorry no picture.

I no longer use roof transport much because the trailer is much easier.

I've had no issues transporting a Chesapeake 17 and a 16 using the V shaped foam pads on Yakima racks.  The tricky part is getting the boats on and off, especially doing it by myself.  If I were to do it more often, I'd consider one of the roller mechanisms.  But if you'll typically have a partner with you to help, the above pads have been completely secure and reliable for me.

Mark

What does the bottom of the Malone SeaWings look like?  My Elevate Rack bars are oval shaped about 3" wide.  It looks like you have square bars that fits nicely under the SeaWings slot.  How wide are the SeaWing slots that fits over your rack bars?

Jack

With the foam pads do you find your kayak moving a little bit on the highway (lateraly) even if you have the bow & stern lines?

Spacing front to back between the holes is 3.5" so it should fit on your 3" bars.  

Regarding the bow lines, with the stern of the boat well behind the back of the truck, you can't get the bow/stern lines tight enough to stop a little side to side movement.  They work to keep the boat from depating the truck if you have a strap break, but since both are angled forward, they just pull the boat forward when over-tighted.

The side to side movement I get with the Malone Pads is rather minimal, and really only an issue when I am carrying two wide boats.

Mark

Thanks for the pic of the SeaWings showing the bottom & measurements!!  I'm also looking at the Gullwings which has more surface area than the SeaWings.  I'm waiting to hear back from them about the mounting brackets...They also cost a bit more!

Love the color scheme on your kayak!  

With the foam pads do you find your kayak moving a little bit on the highway (lateraly) even if you have the bow & stern lines?

I don't think my pads move at all, but the boats do move just a bit on the pads.  If I'm doing highway speeds I'll have double bowlines on each boat, one going to the rightside undercarriage and the other going left, which helps to keep  the boats pointing straight ahead.  I also use the wider 1.5" NRS straps and rig them so that each goes over the boat twice--right in front and right aft of the crossbar, looping under the bar at the middle and the outside end.  This allows me to spread the downward pressure over a larger part of the deck, getting good friction without crushing anything.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.