Shipping Sea Kayaks

I am moving from the East Coast to the West Coast, and need to move 3 home built sea kayaks (CLC and other).  I am not planning on driving cross country.  Does anyone have advice on shipping boats (17 foot)?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shipping Sea Kayaks

When you compare costs, consider the option of hiring an otherwise unemployed 17 yr. old (trustworthy) kid, a couple of hotel stays, a one-way rental vehicle with a roof rack, and a one-way return flight on cheapo-air.  Or, maybe provide minimal support and let the kid do some sightseeing and have an adventure on the return trip.  I do know there are some restrictions about being 25 years old and rentals, but don't know if those only apply to the person renting or the person actually driving - so if that can't be worked around maybe you find a kid willing to drive his/her own vehicle, or the driver has to be 25 years old.  The cost might be competetive with other options, especially when you're talking about 3 boats.

Or everything I said above, but solicit a retiree? 

Or a single school teacher that has some spare time this summer?

K&S Transport is a firm that specializes in moving sea kayaks, canoes, and rowing shells around the country.   I have used them to move a new boat from Seattle to Wisconsin.  Here is their URL. https://shipyourkayak.com/

when i moved from NY to Texas many moons ago, my movers moved 4 kayaks (14 to 17 ft) along with most of the other family goods in the 'normal' long moving van.  it was van lines and i did not have a seperate move (my J80 was a seperate story and used a boat mover).

same when i returned to the washington DC area.

the van was long enough and they put them on the top of all the other family goods.

all of them were wrapped/duct taped in multiple layers of thick bubble wrap and arrived unharmed.

the movers did not seem to make a big deal of it....but i did closely supervise the loading and unloading.

h

when i moved from NY to Texas many moons ago, my movers moved 4 kayaks (14 to 17 ft) along with most of the other family goods in the 'normal' long moving van.  it was van lines and i did not have a seperate move (my J80 was a seperate story and used a boat mover).

same when i returned to the washington DC area.

the van was long enough and they put them on the top of all the other family goods.

all of them were wrapped/duct taped in multiple layers of thick bubble wrap and arrived unharmed.

the movers did not seem to make a big deal of it....but i did closely supervise the loading and unloading.

h

Thanks, I reached out to "shipyourkayak.com".  If they are reasonable, I will ask them to take care of my boats.  Otherwise I'll look for a kid or retired guy to drive across country for me.  I'm hoping not to hire a full service (e.g. long truck) mover.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.