NEDory--Motor well

OK-- I know all you guys are purists but I'm an old fart and would like to put a kicker on the dory. I suppose you could use a canoe style motor bracket but I'd prefer the motor on centerline.  Thinking of cutting out the transom inside the "doubler" and installing a 10 degree inside transom for a small motor. Has anyone done this??

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NEDory--Motor well

About a year ago (last September), someone posted a Skerry for sale in the Bazaar here and also said it was equipped with a "hidden' electric motor.  It piqued my interest because I too am an old fart who just finished building a Skerry and thought about a motor too.  I asked the seller how he mounted the motor and he replied that he took the motor of an electric trolling motor and mounted it in a modified rudder, running the wires up through the rudder housing and into the boat, where it attached to the battery and motor controls.  He sent me a picture and a description of the mount and if you're interested, I can scan it and send it to your email address.  I never went through with the mod because I'm just not that talented to make a rudder like that, but you may wish to look at it.  I built my Skerry from the kid under CLC instruction.  You can also look up the dialog between him and me in the bazaar if you go back to last September and look for the Skerry for sale.  It's still there because I checked it last night.  Good luck.  I was going to send this to the fellow who posted recently about wanting to motorize a kayak, but the battery weight seems to rule that out for a kayak.  Best,  Bob H 

oops...substitue kit for kid.  bob h

Thanks Bob but I'm thinking of a 3-4HP conventional O/B, not electric. To much weight involved in lugging those batteries.--- Berto

Berto,  couldn't agree more.  Especially for my Skerry which only has a 450 lb payload to start.  Good luck.   Bob

I like iron sails too.  Probably have more than my fair share.  I've rowed the NEer.  Nice!  But I wouldn't put an O/B on one.  I'm not sure where along the centerline the 'doubler' you mentioned is located.  If it's anywhere near the transom, the weight of the O/B plus a single operator will really set the balance of the NEer way off to the point where it could be a nasty, bow-high slug.

If you plan an O/B well about a third forward of the transom to balance the NEer with just you aboard, you'll possibly lose a lot of space and versatility.  The engineering won't be too hard if you follow reasonable standards, just be aware of the problems the motor & prop vibrations might cause on the rest of the structure (not designed for a motor).

If you are really serious, talk to the designer.  Adding an O/B is a significant departure from the NEer's intended/designed use.   The designer could alert you to probable pitfalls and possibly steer you to a better (O/B capable) design.

Good luck.

Bob,

What's the chances of you scanning that and posting it here? If you need web-hosting for the picture, let me know and we can host it on mine.

Laszlo

Laszlo, see if this works.........Picasa Web Albums - Electric Motor Rudder Mount - Electric Motor Rudder Mount

Best,  Bob H

Y'know I always end up regretting letting the word out when I don't have a firm release date.  But before the first Northeaster Dory prototype hit the water, plans were in the works for an electric version.  It has an inboard well for an ordinary trolling motor, located nearly amidships for balance and ergonomics. 

We've got a lot of testing to do before that one's out in kit or plans form.  Two words stand in the way of doing quick mod on the stock rowing/sailing version:  "Coast" and "Guard."  A motor fastened to the stock boat would lack the reserve floation that safety---and the United States Coast Guard---requires in a motorized vessel.  The electric version has built-in flotation tanks.

The standard version is "Not Rated for Motor" and everyone who has them will be getting stickers to that effect in the mail when we get them from the printers.

Clean lines---but only about 260 pounds of foam flotation

Bob,

Worked great, thanks. Now I have something to consider for the sailing dinghy I'm currently working on.

John,

You know there's something wrong with this country when it's legal to sell automatic assault weapons and illegal to sell an electric motor modded dory.

Laszlo

I'll admit, I haven't read the CG regs, lately--and they change. However, "in the old days"  a lot of the "traditional" and "home built" stuff was exempt. As an example, here in Maine there are 100s of 18'-20' squarestern canoes built  every year. Normally powered by a 25HP O/B. Zero flotation. Lots of Amesbury style dories as well. It's a long way to DC and this is a very tradition minded region.

Amotor well will eat up a lot of needed room!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.