Dyed MC 16.5 deck is finally on.

After much thought and a few sleepless nights I decided to dye the deck on my Mill Creek. I was very nervous, as I did not like the idea of a painted deck if I messed up. I used Lockwood's water soluble aniline dye for the deck and hatches. The hardest part was not getting any glue on the deck while attaching it. I used a foam brush to put on two coats of very diluted dye to slowly build up the color and to raise the grain. I then attached the deck and applied the remaining two coats. I won't know until the glass goes on but it looks like it will be very nice.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dyed MC 16.5 deck is finally on.

Wow, that is really sharp looking! I like it!  I bet the deck will have a beautiful rich tone once it is finished.  Nice job on placing the nails, did you take any special precautions or steps to ensure such nice allignment of the nails?

Nothing special, just lots of layout and prep work. I am also installing a rudder so I needed to make sure I did not place a nail in the same place as the rudder shaft.

After planing the bevel on the sheer clamps I noticed the thickness of the deck and sheer was less than the length of the bronze ring nails. Not wanting 132 nails poking out below the deck I trimmed all of the nails 1/8". It did not take that long to trim them and I feel it was worth the trouble.

Wow, that is some dedication to trim all of the nails. Great job!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.