Drip rings on Greenland style paddle

Has anyone added drip rings to a one piece homemade Greenland style paddle? If so, where did you get them or did you make them?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Drip rings on Greenland style paddle

At my Paddle Canada Level 1 Course I attended this past weekend, I got to try a greenland paddle (now on the aganda after my C18), that was one of my questions.  The answer back was sure, rope.  I was thinking keeping with the style:

I guess you could try finding a rubber ring, heat it up in a nice warm bath of water and stretch it on...

OK attempt 2, there was supposed to be a picture after the first paragraph above.

Rope Ring

One great advantage iof the Greenland paddle is that you can slide your hands from one end to the other,see http://superiorkayaks.com/superiorkayaks2009_004.htm Drip rings would retard this motion. SEEYA Jack

I recently bought one of Eric Schade's gorgeous Greenland paddles and quickly learned that they work very differently from modern paddles. They seem to work best with short low angle strokes. And the blades are narrower and not scooped, so they don't tend to pick up water that requires drip rings. I also learned, later in the first day that I used it, that these paddles use different sets of muscles than the modern ones do. -Wes

What did you end up using for drip rings on your Greenland paddle ? 

You don't use drip rings with a GP. They would get in the way of your hands as you go all over the paddle. Then GP is a high angle paddle. Drips happen. Wear a skirt. Or on the summer I put a sponge between legs and "bail" every so often. Its kinda nice in 95 degrees to be wet.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.