Converting Skerry Lug to Sloop?

Has anyone performed the conversion from lug to sloop? Can it be done so that the rigs are interchangeable?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Converting Skerry Lug to Sloop?

Mine's a balanced lug.  Curious as to why you'd want to convert it to sloop. 

I've been sailing the lug on both Eastport Parm and Sherry for a several years. Want to try a sloop for fun and experience without having to commit to another boat in the inventory. Not ready to build another and no interest in looking for a cheap plastic craft just to satisfy my interest. I've tinkered with all the "go-fast" mods I can dig up for the Skerry and think the sloop rig could be the next step. But only if I can keep both options open. 

I've been sailing the lug on both Eastport Parm and Sherry for a several years. Want to try a sloop for fun and experience without having to commit to another boat in the inventory. Not ready to build another and no interest in looking for a cheap plastic craft just to satisfy my interest. I've tinkered with all the "go-fast" mods I can dig up for the Skerry and think the sloop rig could be the next step. But only if I can keep both options open. 

Probably a good question for the CLC folks.  The details of the gunter sloop option show aluminum mast sections, which might mean the mast step and partners are different.  Can't tell for sure from looking at the sketch and a few photos of boats so rigged in the gallery whether the mast step is located in the same position as the lug.

The sketch does show a pair of shrouds with a bit of drift, which makes me wonder how they are attached if the mast step is located at the frame as with the lug.  Maybe just some extra reinforcement to sorta act like chainplates?

I had know idea, until I looked, that this rig was an option from CLC.  Oughta make her fly, for sure--like riding a young stallion...bareback...in the dark.  Mercy!

.....Michael

The mast for the sloop sits on a wooden block that bolts to the forward "seat" just over the hole where the lug rig mast would go through. I only have the sloop rig, but I think they should be interchangeable. 

Cbb10710, based on your description, it sounds like this would be worth looking into seriously. The sloop mast step should be able to be removable to stick the wood mast in the hole for switching to lug. A  little head scratching on design and fund raising for hardware should take up considerable time this winter. I suppose I should also include looking into how to add floatation to the hull. I suspect the chances of getting wet will go up significantly while I figure out how to deal with the extra strings.

Christine Merchant added a jib, on her Skerry, to her Sprit sail.  So there might be some useful ideas from her for you on this project, found here -  - https://www.christinedemerchant.com/skerryjib.html   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.